FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By KategoricalKarnivore
Today I sowed 10 VFT seeds I got from Matt and 10 I got from GreenOhio in a 10 gallon terrarium I set up yesterday. It's my first attempt at growing them so wish me luck.
By Shadowtski
Today I deflasked a new Drosera hartmeyerorum. This is my second attempt at getting this species out of Tissue Culture. This time I sterilized my growing medium. This should prevent outside contamination. I rinsed the plant under tepid running water instead of just soaking it in water. This should do a better job of removing the Agar.

Another observation from today. My two tiny Drosera slackii are doing well. There's new growth and dew on their tentacles. These guys started as growth buds on a leaf pulled off from a motherball Tissue Culture blob. I see several growth buds that are turning into plants. This species is much easier to work with than D. hartmeyerorum, as far as transferring out of TC.

Good growing,
Mike
By boarderlib
Since the weather is starting to cool down some, I moved my grow table so it gets about another hour to two hours of direct sun.

I also ditched my terrarium setup for an open air setup, until I get my new terrarium build under way. That way I can have my indoor setups in one place, since before I had my terrarium (in my living room), and a germination station setup (in the basement). I'm tired of running to three places when I get home to water and air things out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
Today I harvested a very special seed pod. This is the Drosera capensis "Typical" flower that I pollinated with Drosera aliciae pollen on August 14th. I first removed the D. capensis stamens so the flower couldn't self pollinate. I tied a piece of thread around the flower to mark it. It took a little over three weeks for the flower to dry and crack open.

This was my first attempt at hybridizing anything. The ovary did show some swelling, but not as much as self pollinated flowers. I will let the seed pod dry for a week and then delicately open it and look for seed.

I am still waiting for my second attempt to dry out for harvest. My second try is Drosera capensis "Wide leaf " pollinated with Drosera aliciae.

Good growing,
Mike
By KategoricalKarnivore
Today I received some d. capensis "alba" and "red" seeds from Fishman. So I went ahead and sowed some in my terrarium and I put some in a couple pots outside too. I also sprinkled some on a real sandy spot in my yard that only grows sheet moss. Sundews and pitcher plants grow wild right near here so who knows maybe they will live.
By Shadowtski
Today I photographed a couple of plants.

The first one, posted here, is my Drosera hartmeyerorum. The second one, posted in the original giveaway thread, is the Cephalotus I won from Nauz's giveaway. They're both looking halfway decent.

Good growing,
Mike

By KategoricalKarnivore
Today I went to a relative's olive farm that has wild s. alata and d. capillaris and dug up a few plants for myself and for a couple other members here. Now I guess I'll have to go ahead and set up my mini-bog and get them into it.
By Earthy
today I harvested some more sundew seeds, checked my plants for water, and just let them do their CP thing lol...
By Fishman
Today i discovered "3" little d.binata growing from a leaf pulling that ive had floating in water for about 2-3 weeks. Going to deal with that somehow lol...
Harvested some drosera seeds. Took cuttings from 6 nepenthes plants. Got a nepenthes ready to get delivered to a forum member. Last but not least, looking for one of my lost paintbrushes i was using to pollenate with. Found it in a mud puddle on the side of my house after last nights rain. >.<
By boarderlib
My project for the day started Friday when I opened my box from the group order. I got all of my new Heli's soaking in a Trichoderma solution over night. Saturday afternoon after work I started prepping LFSM. Then mixed my media and got about half of my Heli's potted up and bagged. I woke up Sunday and got the rest of them potted and bagged. Then I fed all of the pitchers I could, and gave them all a good top watering. Now they are all resting and hopefully recuperating from their journey from across the pond.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
Today I harvested a seed pod from my second attempt at hybridization. It is a Drosera capensis "Wide Leaf" x Drosera aliciae. There is some swelling of the ovary so I'm hopeful for finding a few seeds inside.

Good growing,
Mike
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!