FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By chriscanivorous
If i get a green house what CP would be best or would you recommend for me (a noob)?? :idea:
I really havn't got a clue i don't want to get plants for them to have a crap life and me the tormentor :twisted: .

BTW I LIVE IN A PLANT HARDINESS ZONE 8b :D
By stitz25b
vft sarracenia r ur best choices. i also reccomend drosera caoensis and aliciae. neps are a gd choice and bladderworts would suffice
By Steve_D
Can you give us an idea of where you live and what your climate is like (USDA zone 8b covers a lot of territory in the United States and doesn't indicate humidity and other environmental factors). :) There are many plants that would be happy in the house with you, if there is a suitable window or artificial grow lights.
Steve_D liked this
By chriscanivorous
Middlesbrough weather.jpg
Middlesbrough weather.jpg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 5246 times
Humidity in middlesbrough this week is between 81% 98%.

I'm making a small terrarium atm but its only 1ftsq so they would need to be small cp and the
lights ill be using until i have more funds.

2x
cheap 20 watts = 100 watts
1218 lumens
warm white colour
2700k colour temperature
220-240v 50-60Hz

Im slowly learning lol
By Daniel_G
Ok, here's some of the plant's i grow and some other's i dont which you can grow, i've put them in classes of how easy they are

WEED'S
D.capensis
D.binata
D.spatulata

MODERATE
VFT's
S. purpurea
S. alata
S. minor

SLIGHLY CHALLENGING
N. ventrata
N.alata
N. sanguinea
Cephalotus follicularis
Heliamphora heteredoxa x nutans

YOU MUST BE KIDDING!!!
N.villosa
N. bicalcarata
Any lowland nepenthes
Audrey II

:D
Daniel_G liked this
By chriscanivorous
lol I already found out Audrey II Is challenging lol

i just learn something new:
D.= Easy,
S.= a bit harder,
and N. = Not yet till i know what i'm doing.

Is that correct? Should i look at plants starting with S. & D.?

thanks Daniel
By Daniel_G
Yeah, Most Sub- tropical Drosera's are like weed's, so stick to Sub-tropical's, as for Sarracenia, some are easy other need lt's of sun, so i reccomend S. purpureae or minor first as they don't require to much sun, than move on to the harder one's :)
Daniel_G liked this
By bananaman
Yea.

Do what he says.

But, if you get the conditions right, neps are easy. I may have been incredibly lucky, but nepenthes ventricosa was my first nep, and it is a weed in my room temperature terrarium. But, generally, neps are hard. :D
By dantt99
chriscanivorous wrote:If i get a green house what CP would be best or would you recommend for me (a noob)??
If you get a greenhouse, you can grow any plants fine in it, as long as you manage humidity, here's my suggestions easiest to hardest
  • Easiest- Many Tropical and Sub-Tropical Drosera's are very easy to grow! D. Capensis, D. Spatulata, D. Binata, etc. These have very little needs and grow like crazy! :D
  • Moderate- VFT's are great! These have some needs, but are not too hard to maintain. Also check out some Sarracenia's! I love those guys because they look amazing and have nice coloration!
  • Hard- Cephalotus, Heliamphora, and some Nepenthes and Drosera are very hard to grow, and I would not recommend without much reading and experience with easy and medium plants :)
Good luck :D
dantt99 liked this
By bananaman
dantt99 wrote: * Easiest- Many Tropical and Sub-Tropical Drosera's are very easy to grow! D. Capensis, D. Spatulata, D. Binata, etc. These have very little needs and grow like crazy! :D
* Moderate- VFT's are great! These have some needs, but are not too hard to maintain. Also check out some Sarracenia's! I love those guys because they look amazing and have nice coloration!
* Hard- Cephalotus, Heliamphora, and some Nepenthes and Drosera are very hard to grow, and I would not recommend without much reading and experience with easy and medium plants :)

Some Nepenthes like Nepenthes ventricosa are in the Moderate Category.
bananaman liked this
By chriscanivorous
bananaman wrote:
dantt99 wrote: * Easiest- Many Tropical and Sub-Tropical Drosera's are very easy to grow! D. Capensis, D. Spatulata, D. Binata, etc. These have very little needs and grow like crazy! :D
* Moderate- VFT's are great! These have some needs, but are not too hard to maintain. Also check out some Sarracenia's! I love those guys because they look amazing and have nice coloration!
* Hard- Cephalotus, Heliamphora, and some Nepenthes and Drosera are very hard to grow, and I would not recommend without much reading and experience with easy and medium plants :)

Some Nepenthes like Nepenthes ventricosa are in the Moderate Category.
thanks alot bananaman! the first plant i bought is a Dionaea muscipula 'Clone K1':
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _500wt_949
along with some DROSERA sp. LANTAU ISLAND seeds:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2257wt_932
I also have many vft seed to play with, these will go in my mini terrarium untill the sun comes and i have a green house:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/my-mi ... t9594.html

I really like sarra's and darlingtonia although i dont know anything about them yet but im sure i quickly find out!!
chriscanivorous liked this
By Daniel_G
Ok, Sarracenia 101, most (apart from the prsotrate species) Need lot's of direct, or string inderect light, don't let them eat too much (they can eat themselve's to death xD) And don't put them in too high humidity, water them the same as you would a flytrap, and that's you first lesson complete :)
Daniel_G liked this
Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!