FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By doku
Depending on which species it is you can have them growing under a wide range of conditions. As far as i know, all intermediate species can acclimate to low humidity, the ones I have continue to grow really well in humidity as low as 8% but the normal for them is between 30%-55%. Most also do better with lots of bright light. Mine get anywhere from 4-6 hours of direct light and bright light the rest of the day. Temperatures will also very on the species. The ideal temperatures for intermediate Nepenthes is between 65F and 95F. At these temperatures they grow rather fast. Some can handle higher/lower temps however, but like I said, it depends on the species. The intermediates that I grow are:
khasiana
miranda
tobaica
reinwardtiana
copelandii
Technically, tobaica, khasiana and copelandii are highlanders, but grow best in temps above 65F as an intermediate. Miranda and reinwardtiana are more on the lowlander side and grow better with temps above 70F. Right now that its winter, my tobaica, khasiana and copelandii are still growing, but really slow. My miranda and reinwardtiana stopped growing when the temperature began falling below 65F and suffered from it by getting some nasty spots all over the leaves. They'll recover and begin to grow properly once it gets warmer. I think the older and bigger the plant, the cooler temps that it can handle. All in all, my plants have survived temps over 100F and below 38F with minimal damage. I dont know if this covers everything that you wanted to know, but if not, just let me know.
By doku
Oh, nice. Any pictures? One more thing to add, the direct light I give my plants is only in the morning and evening. My humidity is too low to give my plants afternoon sun without getting major leaf burn, even after acclimating it. I think if you can give it 70%+ humidity, you can grow them in full sun all day, but I cant really prove this just yet.
By Pat
That nepenthe cross is realy tough! I think you could even try growing it out doors in the Sydney climate.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!