FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By darkangelwitch
I really need help with my Sundew! I've stop having standing in water, I've took her out from under the Glow Light. Yet she losing colour and stinking. I'm not sure what I'm doing and I don't want her sister going down the same road. Please someone, tell what I'm doing? I have the sitting in the window in the day, not too bright, I am in Scotland. Thank you in advance.
Attachments:
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (135.98 KiB) Viewed 3984 times
Last edited by darkangelwitch on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
By darkangelwitch
Cross wrote:Stinking like what?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
See the top left of the photo, that how my bottom right of the photo use to looked. But if you look at the bottom right of the photo now it's all mashed into itself.
By Cross
darkangelwitch wrote:

See the top left of the photo, that how my bottom right of the photo use to looked. But if you look at the bottom right of the photo now it's all mashed into itself.
Oh, you don't mean a literal smell lol. I was like mold? Algae? Carcasses? If you change lighting extremes, it can affect it. I wouldn't stress out about it. I'd give it more time and wait. It could just be light stress. My sundews tend to look like garbage when I change their light or they get too warm.

Cross liked this
By thefic
Lol I thought that you meant actual smell too.

Sometimes leaf deformation happens.

Lack of light, humidity, and sometimes temperature fluctuating can affect leaf growth.

I also have a few rosette sundews that will have deformed leaves when they are either throwing up a flower stalk or starting to form a new plant. They can tend to clump over time.
thefic liked this
By Cross
thefic wrote:Lol I thought that you meant actual smell too.

Lack of light, humidity, and sometimes temperature fluctuating can affect leaf growth.

I also have a few rosette sundews that will have deformed leaves when they are either throwing up a flower stalk or starting to form a new plant. They can tend to clump over time.
My spatulata clumped so bad. They look nice now. That separation was messier than bennifer's (if you're old enough to know that reference) breakup.

By darkangelwitch
Cross wrote:
darkangelwitch wrote:

Oh, you don't mean a literal smell lol. I was like mold? Algae? Carcasses? If you change lighting extremes, it can affect it. I wouldn't stress out about it. I'd give it more time and wait. It could just be light stress. My sundews tend to look like garbage when I change their light or they get too warm.

I meant Shrinking, Lol bad spelling day. Thanks for the info, I've place a bag over them just now, to give them some humidity. I've had to do that with a few Fly Traps. It's very hot in my flat just now, which is not helping. I am using a cooler which as a Humidify option on it. So I'm hoping that helps the room? Thanks again :D
By darkangelwitch
Cross wrote:I will also note THEY have some good color. There's quite a few of them in there.

That's how I got them a few weeks back, they look great until I got into my place lol. I was hoping to re-pot them in the winter months along with two Fly Traps.
By darkangelwitch

Sorry bad spelling day! I'm going for humidity, it's a pot luck, but it's hot in my place, so I've put a bag over them and see if they pick up? Thanks for the help. :D
By Cross
darkangelwitch wrote:

Sorry bad spelling day! I'm going for humidity, it's a pot luck, but it's hot in my place, so I've put a bag over them and see if they pick up? Thanks for the help. :D
The bag should help to return dewdrops. Make sure it's not getting too hot in that bag. If you've got direct light shining into that bag, it may heat up in there.

Cross liked this
By darkangelwitch
Cross wrote:
darkangelwitch wrote:

The bag should help to return dewdrops. Make sure it's not getting too hot in that bag. If you've got direct light shining into that bag, it may heat up in there.

Thank you Cross, I've have place a hole in the bag? Not sure if that a good or bad thing? But I wanted her to get a little air. She near a grow light, but not under it. I've also re-potted her in a mix of Flytrap/Sarracenia compost I got from Here and New Zealand Fresh Sphagnum Moss which I got from Amazon I mixed half and half.
By thefic
I do remember Bennifer. Lol.

I hate Ben Affleck with a fiery passion. He is an absolutely unnecessary waste of space.

Also in regard to the plants.

I would not bag. Bagging tends to lead to more issues. Also once the bag is removed the plant will have to readjust to the new humidity and probably lose the dew anyway. Household humidity should be fine. If more humidity is needed I would put a bowl of distilled water under the pot to help increase the local relative humidity.

That plant needs more light for deeper coloration. Some plants need a month or so of stable conditions before they adjust and start producing dew.

There are some great articles on other sites that talk in depth about dew production.

Also keep in mind that at certain times during a normal yearly growth cycle a plant will lose or slow down dew production as it prepares to send up a flower stalk or when it starts to produce a new plant pup.

Make sure that the media is well rinsed peat. A little sand won't hurt either. Use distilled or rain water. Place a bowl under the pot to keep the soil moist. Give the plant plenty of light. If the window isn't getting enough full sun. (Also windows do reduce the actual light the plant received) you can use a grow light. I use 19 watt LED grow lights for my SUNDEWS, seedlings, and neps.

I recently had a D. Aliciae that was looking a little wonky. Turns out less than a week later she sent up 2 flower stalks, produced 3 new pups, and then started producing multiple new leaves. I left her alone and now she is back to producing plenty of dew.

I made no changes to the environment, just careful monitoring.
thefic liked this
By darkangelwitch
thefic wrote:I do remember Bennifer. Lol.

I hate Ben Affleck with a fiery passion. He is an absolutely unnecessary waste of space.

Also in regard to the plants.

I would not bag. Bagging tends to lead to more issues. Also once the bag is removed the plant will have to readjust to the new humidity and probably lose the dew anyway. Household humidity should be fine. If more humidity is needed I would put a bowl of distilled water under the pot to help increase the local relative humidity.

That plant needs more light for deeper coloration. Some plants need a month or so of stable conditions before they adjust and start producing dew.

There are some great articles on other sites that talk in depth about dew production.

Also keep in mind that at certain times during a normal yearly growth cycle a plant will lose or slow down dew production as it prepares to send up a flower stalk or when it starts to produce a new plant pup.

Make sure that the media is well rinsed peat. A little sand won't hurt either. Use distilled or rain water. Place a bowl under the pot to keep the soil moist. Give the plant plenty of light. If the window isn't getting enough full sun. (Also windows do reduce the actual light the plant received) you can use a grow light. I use 19 watt LED grow lights for my SUNDEWS, seedlings, and neps.

I recently had a D. Aliciae that was looking a little wonky. Turns out less than a week later she sent up 2 flower stalks, produced 3 new pups, and then started producing multiple new leaves. I left her alone and now she is back to producing plenty of dew.

I made no changes to the environment, just careful monitoring.
Thank you, I'm doing most of what you've written. :)
By 93pirks
I live in the UK, the north of England and put a few spatulatas outside along with a narrow leaf capensis. Although they are growing slower than those i have inside the house they are almost completely red in colour
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!