FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I can't find the original thread, but there was a question about D. intermedia dormancy because theirs was acting weird. I proffered my experience of my intermedia (Cuba) pot, half going dormant, half not. The general consensus for the plants of the OP of that thread was that if they're still green, they're still good. However, a repot might be a good thing right before they wake up.
Now, with 80°F+ temps, mine did it again.
You can see two went dormant (yes, in the summer), while the rest are active.
These are due for a repot themselves, but I'll wait for Spring.
20210902_185300.jpg
20210902_185300.jpg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 1283 times
By Panman
My Carolina Giant intermedias did that when I brought them outside this spring. A couple of them finally started active growth a month ago but two if them still have beautiful green hibernicula.
By MikeB
Are you sure they're the Cuban variety? If these intermedia plants are from mountain or Canadian stock, then it wouldn't surprise me that they're packing it in already.

On a semi-related note, I bought some Drosera x hybrida 'Butterfly Valley, California' plants from CC in late July, and the plants were already dormant. I found that very strange because all of my filiformis and intermedia plants are wide-awake. If the filiformis parent was from Nova Scotia, that would explain a lot.
ChefDean liked this
By ChefDean
MikeB wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:07 am Are you sure they're the Cuban variety? If these intermedia plants are from mountain or Canadian stock, then it wouldn't surprise me that they're packing it in already.
Anything is possible, but the seeds were labeled "Cuba", and I got them from a very reliable, very experienced drosera source. I know that tropical versions of temperate plants will still go dormant given the right cues, but to have a couple plants in a pot go dormant while the rest are not is the weird thing.
Hello, New to the forum

I wish! These are city slicker deer. No hunting […]

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!