FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Announcements, as well as comments and suggestions about the FlytrapCare Forum itself. For all Forum members.

Moderator: Matt

By jamez
It could be a place where everyone could just be adults without kids being around. It could have a password that only the adults were given. maybe 18 and older or 21 and older?

Thoughts?
By stitz25b
jamez wrote:It's like a chit chat forum for adults. If there is a chit chat forum then why not this. Of course I can.

Only adult replies, please.
hmm jamez
i think that is a bit of a stupid idea
i mean is there really any reason
if u want to discuss what im thinking off go find another forum
stitz25b, stitz25b liked this
By jamez
WHat are you thinking of? It would be a place just for the adults to let go...

Or even better... A number you add to your password that you can say anything on the forum and then if it is not suitable for children then your postn is automatically etided but the other adults can see it.
By Dubstep13
jamez wrote:WHat are you thinking of? It would be a place just for the adults to let go...

Or even better... A number you add to your password that you can say anything on the forum and then if it is not suitable for children then your postn is automatically etided but the other adults can see it.
i like that
some of my humor is not for 13yr olds but i must hold back here cus well ppl are still in middle school here but im 21 so...
i think its a good idea
By Grey
Although I do understand the want for a feature such as this I wonder if users should be divided into an adult and non-adult group as maturity (and thus the ability to handle mature conversations in some cases) is not tied into a specific age group. Forgive me if I misunderstand, but to me this seems to be more of a maturity issue than an age specific one.

Though I do understand that some events that one may wish to discuss can only be experienced in later life and may not be seen as appropriate for younger users, regardless of maturity and for such cases (where it may be of importance) there should be a feature available. At the same time I'm trying to look at this from the younger members' point of view; I suppose I'm contradicting myself.

The matter of "fairness" may come in to play here. One could argue that such a feature would be unfair to the more mature, younger members of the forum by disallowing them to partake in conversations whereas another could argue it is fair as it would "protect" them from potentially upsetting subjects (if these subjects were raised on the forums) and general behaviour associated with being "adult" (such as jokes packed with innuendos and other such things). I could also argue that protecting younger members from every day things could be as detrimental as subjecting them to these things in the first place... I think I'm going nowhere here.

This is just my opinion on the matter and as I'm sure you can see I'm somewhere in the abyss; I look forward to seeing what other responses you get jamez.
Grey liked this
By jamez
Well of course the younger kids don't like the idea. I doubt fairness. If the conversation is not for kids then it is fair. If that was unfair then us watching our mouths would be unfair, lol.
By Jaws
I can see the idea was thought up with good intentions, but i feel anything that someone has to say that isnt relevant for Chit Chat area, should post it in a different site forum.
At the end of the day this is a Carnivorous Plant Site and 90% of the chat is for that topic, with a side line forum for general trivia.
Jaws, Jaws liked this
By RogerMcAllen
jamez wrote: Only adult replies, please.
That's kind of the problem. If the "what age are you thread" is representative of the boards population, around half of the users are under 15. Even stranger to me is the number of 12 year olds. I have never been on a board where you didn't at least need a fake ID if you were under 13. Because of the high proportion of children, the forum takes a more wholesome slant than most I visit. For example, the thread about this image:
Was full of posts saying "cool" instead of a more humorous take on the species of bird being eaten in relation to the area around a woman's sternum.

If there was an adult sub-forum, adult users might start seeing the site as more of an adult place instead of a family site. More liberal posting on the adult side may lead to more liberal posting on the whole board, or even an accidental post on the kid friendly side of the board after a few libations.

Another problem I see is that many of the kids wouldn't like being excluded and would just create alts to get into the adult section. Changing the year on your login isn't really all that hard.
By Grey
I do greatly agree with Jaws and RogerMcAllen. At first I couldn't see the functionality of this feature in a carnivorous plant-based forum however I did attempt to see it from all sides and the reasoning behind why this feature could work and why it could not. In a close community such as ours it seems more of an "all or nothing" sort of thing and I, personally, would not like an adult-only forum to be implemented for many reasons other besides the above.

Jaws and RogerMcAllen both made points that I failed to put into words in my previous posts :lol:
Grey liked this
By Daniel_G
I don't think maturity comes into "Jokes packed with innuendos" Just how rude you are.
RogerMcallen made a good point of Children making different accounts to gain entry to an "Adult" Section. If it's not suitable for the entire community, it doesn't need to be posted at all.
Daniel_G, Daniel_G, Daniel_G liked this

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!