FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Alzuryu
Yeah you probably read the title and thought i was slightly messed up. "You just add water to the damn plant."

But recently i asked my genius sister to buy me some larger plant pots (she was down town at the time, convenient!)
So i was using 4" pots to begin with... and she comes back with 6" pots, oddly enough the only pots in town which don't have corresponding drip trays. HURRAY

Anyway i aquired a kids toy tray (from my brother, i didnt randomly harass a kid).

Would it be okay if i put my plants in the tray with water for around 30 mins every few days, and then put them back on the windowsill without any form of tray? (after the bottom isn't dripping obviously)
By Alzuryu
I was always told leaving them standing in water is bad o.O
By tommyr
Mine are in standing water ALL growing season. No problems at all. Same with my Sarrs.
By 95slvrZ28
It really depends on the amount of soil, soil composition and environment, not just the height. If your pots are 6" tall and reasonably thin (like a drinking cup) the method you suggest for watering sounds fine. I use 16oz Styrofoam drinking cups for all of my pots and I generally water roughly once every 5 days this time of the year (they're still inside since it gets too cold at night where I live). I live in a very dry area that tends to get hot during the day (during the summer anyway) and then I water my plants about once every 2-3 days depending on the weather.

I would advise against leaving them in standing water all the time unless you live in a VERY dry area (from what I know of England that would not be the case). If I were you I would keep a close eye on my plants initially until you know roughly how much water each pot needs. Put water in the tray and let it stay there until you notice the top of the soil is turning a darker color. Once the top turns you know the soil is saturated and you can toss the rest of the water. Wait until you see top of the soil start to dry (turn a lighter color) and then water again. You'll learn about how much water your pots, soil mixture and climate need in order to saturate them and then you can just give them roughly that much water and leave it. I would err on the side of "more dry" instead of "more wet" since it's quite a bit easier to give a slightly dehydrated plant more water as opposed to reduce water and stop root rot. Guess that's just one growers two cents though...
95slvrZ28 liked this
By Alzuryu
95slvrZ28 wrote:...Guess that's just one growers two cents though...
Thanks just the sort of information i needed :D Thank you very much!
In actuality the pots i have are quite wide, so one assumes they'd take a slightly longer time to dry when compared to that of a 6" thin pot.
Like you said though i'll see how it goes and water accordingly. Thanks again!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!