FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By jozilla
Hello, i just repotted my plant into a bigger pot. I water my plant by filling the bottom tray with water, but because I just repotted it, the peat moss just soaked up all the water. Should I keep adding more water?? and how do I know if i added enough water, and that the peat moss isn't just soaking it all in, and I'm killing it by over watering??
By Siannuro
jozilla wrote:Hello, i just repotted my plant into a bigger pot. I water my plant by filling the bottom tray with water, but because I just repotted it, the peat moss just soaked up all the water. Should I keep adding more water?? and how do I know if i added enough water, and that the peat moss isn't just soaking it all in, and I'm killing it by over watering??
In my opinion, it is best to top water. It refreshes the plant and you will know when to stop. That would be as soon as the water starts filling the tray. Like Matt said, keep it moist and not wet.

~G'luck!
By goldslinger
I grow the majority indoors, in 2 1/2 inch pots, so I definately bottom water so the rhyzome isn't exposed to soggy conditions even for a minute. Water displaces air which induces anerobic bacteria.

If You bottom water, the lower roots get the water and are soggy, but the upper portions of the peat just stays moist which is all I want in the air conditioned house.

Then, I let is almost, almost get dry, then bottom water again. This, too helps air get deeper into the medium, refreshing it.

There is another reason for bottom watering. If You top water all the time, You leach the medium of it's acidic 'Tea' which has anticeptic properties and the low ph that these plants enjoy.

I top water just after repotting to get rid of any excesses from the repotting, then bottom water from then on out.

To each His/Her own, though.
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!