FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Ricorocks
Plan to use distilled, the cup there in now seems like 8 oz cup. Would 1/4 or 1/3 cup of water be approx correct
By PiranhaPlanter1
Ricorocks wrote:Plan to use distilled, the cup there in now seems like 8 oz cup. Would 1/4 or 1/3 cup of water be approx correct
Does the pot have drainage holes?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
By Ricorocks
Hi PiranhaPlanter1,
No holes, shipped in Styrofoam, coffee cup. I thought about poking a drainage hole.

This newbie thinks perhaps 1/4 cup, when, pushing gently down on media, feels dry or dryish.

This coffee cup needs to be "home" for at least, 4 weeks, some say to keep them like that, just add water for one year. Before re-potting.

I'm thinking about March or April, re-pot.

Thanks
By PiranhaPlanter1
Definitely put some drainage holes. The plants dont like to sit in soppy wet soil but if you ha e drainage holes it doesnt natter how much you use, the pot will keep what it needs and remove the excess.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
Just poke like 10 drainage holes then you don't need to worry about the exact amount of water. Just water for a few seconds until the soil is moist and water runs out the bottom.
By Ricorocks
Guys Thank You!

That wisdom, should be included, when FTS ships.

Wow! Yesterday it was 95F outside, cold front now 42F. & very windy, glad, I put the plants in weighted can. Or I'd be asking neighbors, have you seen my 'flytraps'

My bad, OOps! Looking at the bottom more closely, a very tiny drain hole, is present, I made the whole bigger about 1/4" & added a new hole. Plastic cup drilled.

I brought them indoors do to cold.
By Fieldofscreams
Im confused. You bought from FTS. They come pre-potted in 12oz plastic stadium cups with a hole in the bottom. There is nothing you need to do. Not sure how you mistook plastic stadium cups for Styrofoam coffee cups and missed that there is a hole already in the bottom.

You do not need to bring them inside, its not too cold for them yet, not even close.

You don't need to worry about the wind either. Mine have been through 60+mph winds and have never been blown over.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Lukebart02
I agree with FieldOfScreams. My small 2 inch pots with my small divisions have been through crazy wind speeds in the middle of my walkway with no walls around it without even moving at all! I don’t know what it is, but they seem to be pretty sturdy compared to some other plants! I have a mum and it keeps getting blown over even though It’s heavier when it’s wet!
By Fieldofscreams
The real reason is that the cups are round so they break the wind and also because the plants themselves grow sparsely compared to other plants that they don't act as wind sails.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Lukebart02
Fieldofscreams wrote:The real reason is that the cups are round so they break the wind and also because the plants themselves grow sparsely compared to other plants that they don't act as wind sails.
That’s why!! I was always confused bc the plants are so small and light so it was weird to see a big plant getting knocked over and the small light plants doing just fine!
By Fieldofscreams
Bigger, leafier, taller the plant the more it acts as a wind sail. I have some monster VFT'S and they still don't act like wind sails because they are so light and flexible.
Is This What To Look For?

Thank you. So as long as I know where the names ca[…]

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!