FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By 999gia
Hello !

I'm a beginner in growing carnivores so this forum will be more than helpful.

Where I live we have 4 seasons , durning the summer we have over 86 F degrees so the AC stays on all day long .
On my condensation pipe I get water with 34 ppm so I was wondering : how safe is it to water my plants with it ?

I have some seeds of Drosera Capensis, D.Muscipula and D. Spatulata that I recently planted and plants - Nepenthes and D.Muscipula and I keep them all outside , on shade and moist soil .
By bananaman
I’ve never experimented with AC condensate (though it might be worthwhile to do so...).

To be safe, you should test its TDS first. If it’s low (ideally <50), then you’re probably fine using it to water your plants.
By Nightbreed
Using the ac water is fine I just always had a problem with slime mold on my ac.
By steve booth
It’s good to use, as it is essentially rain water (condensed from the air in the same way as rain). The TDS is increas3d only by the muck on the coil fins or condense collector.
Cheers
Steve
By Doublebass1985
I work on hvac units and it's not uncommon for evaporator/condenser coils to have leaks and then you will have oil from the refrigerant in your water and you don't want that. The refrigerant will just evaporate as soon as it hits atmospheric pressure but the oil will drain down the coil. Just a thought into maybe wanting to reconsider, but likely you won't have a leak in your coil it's just a possibility in the future.
By MikeB
How is the above post relevant to the OP's question?

Edit: The post in question has been deleted by the mods. This comment doesn't apply to Doublebass1985's post.
Last edited by MikeB on Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By elaineo
MikeB wrote:How is the above post relevant to the OP's question?
Spam attack: Spammer leaves generic comments. It usually looks innocuous enough that the admins don't delete them. After a day or so, the spammer logs back in and edits the comment to insert links to a sketchy website selling pills or whatever. Search engines pick up on the backlinks when crawling this forum, and boost the sketchy website's search ranking.
MaxVft, MikeB liked this
By CPhunter101
stevenpiper wrote:Keep the compost just moist during the winter rest period.
Everyone knows compost is toxic to CPs. This post/poster is definitely suspicious.
By MaxVft
CPhunter101 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:48 am Everyone knows compost is toxic to CPs. This post/poster is definitely suspicious.
I already reported him, he sounds like he copy and pasted the grow guide from Rocket Farms' website, lol :lol:
CPhunter101, MikeB liked this
By optique
going to put in my 2c: 36ppm is fine, but being from a AC unit and could be in contact with copper coils a large % of that 34ppm could be copper . Copper being one of the worst things for CP's so keep a eye out for build up that would be growth slowing and stopping over time.
MikeB liked this
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!