FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Dematerialize
I just wanted to let everybody know about these cheap "Venus Flytraps" sold on eBay, same with the fancy "blue" flytraps which don't exist. I have a feeling most of you might already be aware of this but I'd rather share it with you anyways just in case there's any new people that might be tempted to buy these on impulse. :D

EDIT: I've noticed this post is popping up on Google's first page so HELLO! If you've googled anything regarding fake flytraps, blue flytraps or flytraps originating from China...they're all fake. Especially blue flytraps...FAKE, FAKE, FAKE. There's no blue flytrap in existence.

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon these on eBay, sold for 89 cents with free shipping. Red flag!

Many sellers are advertising these as Venus Flytraps, ensuring "Dionaea Muscipula" is mentioned in the description. The sale page for mine said: "1 bag Venus Fly Trap Flower Seeds Dionaea Muscipula Giant Clip Garden Plants New". In the front of the seed packet it fails to mention it's a Venus Flytrap, deciding to go with the vague "catch cordyceps". Google searches for this bring you nowhere besides a few image results sending you to chinese sellers and images from those websites.

Seeing how cheap these were and knowing eBay's good with refunds I decided to give them a shot to see whether they were the real deal. They arrived two days ago.

This is the front of the packet(via google):

Picture of the packet I received as proof:

Back of the packet most sellers don't show with the REAL information:

It's actually "Gysophilla elegans", known as "Annual Baby's-breath, Showy Baby's-breath" and this is how they look:

Seeds in the packet(left) vs seeds bought from a well-known eBay seller(right):

Hopefully this will help someone eventually. Have a good weekend, everyone! :D
Last edited by Dematerialize on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Mufasa
hahaha i've seen these on ebay, alot of the sellers have hundreds of thousands of feedbacks, seems stupid to offer such a shotty product
lol
i had thought about buying some of the same packets b/c of the price, maybe some sellers of these cheap seeds are legit?
Mufasa liked this
By Dematerialize
Same here, I've been seeing these for months and I finally bit the bullet and tried them out lol. I think these specific packets are switched out intentionally since they have the Flytrap image in front of it and they have the name of the plant included at the back. I'm surprised people haven't complained about this yet.

It's probably why the sellers just show the front....I might be wrong but it seems these are mass produced only focused on cheapness(as usual) and I've yet to find anyone selling Flytrap seeds for less than a dollar unless it's a bid :D
Last edited by Dematerialize on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By konkon89
I have bought from one such seller on ebay... shopname "offerperk"

Seeds came in a ziplock but looked exactly like the one you have. Huge seeds in teardrop shape.

But I was half expecting them to be fake.. so not too much disappointment haha
By Dematerialize
Yep, it looks like there's 20-30 sellers with the same fake seeds. I'm going to try and report these fake products to eBay and see if they do something...I doubt they will but I'll try anyways.

The seller I bought them from contacted me on the last day before eBay stepped in asking me to contact them directly. I guess private messages aren't direct enough. I explained their product was mislabeled and lied about its contents, and of course all they say is "srry u wnt refund?" so I guess they'll keep selling them.
By mikepellerin
A list of unscrupulous dealers, both on eBay and the web, needs to be made so users do not fall victim to money grubbing shysters!

If you've been "grifted," leave a message here.

Maybe we can eventually get a sticky of "Folks to Avoid!"
By bannister
One lesson I've learned is: there's always a risk when ordering anything from China, whether it's on eBay or Amazon. You are really taking your chances. Either the item won't be want you want, or it's different, or there is some sort of language translation problem that gives you the wrong information.

Granted, I go there to buy cheap iPhone cases, because you can get many for the price of one here!
By roarke
Another scammer, cyberpunk theme :)
insects break time, five little fingers outstretched , as long as there above it is a small mosquito landed stick, After the pots filled with pure water matrix on the left has a glass tank or basin
Code: Select all
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Summer-must-eat-Cordyceps-flytrap-seeds-Nepenthes-seed-insecticide-seed-catching-flies-M-buster/32219045310.html
Cultivated soil in loose, fertile humus
, yeah right...

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!