FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Chipi3s wrote:So my question is how long does it take for a vft usually take to wake up from dormancy.
Remember that dormancy isn't like and "off/on" switch. Everything happens gradually. And the time of year that a flytrap actually start growing a lot depends on the conditions it is in, primarily the temperature and day length. Flytraps really start growing a lot and getting very active in most of the United States sometime between early March and mid May. My plants are still quite dormant, but are now starting to pump out their first traps of the season and send up flower stalks. It won't be until May or so (later if we have another late spring) that they really start looking good.
Matt liked this
By Veronis
If it's getting enough sunlight (6+ hours of direct sunlight a day), and its other conditions (water/soil) are favorable, that trap that's opening now will be much faster, and this trend will continue for a month or so until it "levels out". The more sun, the better.

The healthiest flytraps close about this fast.
Veronis liked this
By pieguy452
In my experience, newly formed traps that are only a couple days old actually close quite slow. Then after a week or so, they will close very fast. So I believe if it's a newly developed trap, then it will close slow the first few days it is open.
By aleks_andar
Hey guys, i just move in to a new apartment and i’m trying to figure out spot for my VFTs .. They are in dormancy, my sun room temperature its always around 63 degrees.. my garage is without sunlight ( only when door opens )
... for this last week i keep them in my sunroom and i think they got greenier.. any help, suggestions.. i’m living in northern Illinois.. TIA
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (911.48 KiB) Viewed 3938 times
By Big-Jack
aleks_andar wrote:Hey guys, i just move in to a new apartment and i’m trying to figure out spot for my VFTs .. They are in dormancy, my sun room temperature its always around 63 degrees.. my garage is without sunlight ( only when door opens )
... for this last week i keep them in my sunroom and i think they got greenier.. any help, suggestions.. i’m living in northern Illinois.. TIA
They will do better in that sunroom than in a dark garage. Photosynthesis is slowed down but is still taking place even during deep dormancy. Think of it like solar cells (leaves) recharging a tired battery (rhizome). You'll soon see some healthy spring growth from all that stored energy.
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!