FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Fieldofscreams
Late spring here in Michigan.

During dormancy most my plants lose all their top growth. I keep them in my insulated garage in this setup im-all-in-now-this-is-my-dormancy-setup-t37238.html

However they did experience 10-15 hard frosts during winter in there. Slowly the top growth faded away. Then mid April came and i put them outside. Of course they frosted hard numerous times and also froze solid twice and on top of that they were getting a beat down from solid nonstop sun for 9 hours a day. At this point there is NO top growth at all.

But yet, they are all fine and coming out of dormancy perfectly. I only took pics of a few of my plants, some are just now putting up leaves so there isn't much to look at. These are the ones that seem to be the most hardy and bounce back the fastest.

DCXL. This plant lost all its top growth, but she is fine. Talk about vigorous, she will do fine in my climate for sure.

G16. This little bugger looked completely dead towards the end, I'm talking total carnage. I'm at a loss for words.

Deep red guerilla. Got these guys from FlyTrap Hunter 5 or maybe 6 weeks ago, i just threw them outside with the others. So they also experienced very hard frosts and even froze solid twice. All they did was slow down growth and then went back at it once it warmed up again. I got more cultivars from him than this and they are all doing great, beautiful plants, he grows some nice ones. This one is just beautiful and tough, love it.

Next dormancy my plan is to do a full thread on what my plants go through for a full growing season in west Michigan.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Fieldofscreams
My typicals, 7 months after buying them decided to finally start growing, looks like they decided they were going to skip spring leafs and just go right into upright summer leafs.

Justina Davis, still not doing much, barely growing at all.

My two pots of Wally's, they are finally starting to take off

Low Giant, slowly putting out new leafs, cut off her flower stalk last week
By Fieldofscreams
DCXL has started her first summer leaf

Seed growns looking good

G16 putting up a summer leaf

Jaws also starting to put up her summer leafs

And my newer B52, this makes 4 B52's, my other 3 are super small
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Kenneth
The traps on the B52 is stunning! I got 3 small B52(which turned out to be 4, 3 small 1 medium) and a medium Dente! I am so excited to watch them grow and catch their own food!
By Fieldofscreams
Its a beautiful specimen, good thing I took a picture right away when I got it, took less than an hour after getting it for every trap to catch a bug, they are all closed right now. The biggest trap looks like it caught a bee.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Fieldofscreams wrote:Its a beautiful specimen, good thing I took a picture right away when I got it, took less than an hour after getting it for every trap to catch a bug, they are all closed right now. The biggest trap looks like it caught a bee.
Looking good. I didn't know you had so many fly traps.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By Fieldofscreams
Wish I had more but I have to be careful having to many to care for.

So far I have
Dcxl
G16
Seed grown
Jaws
Justina Davis
Wally
B52
Dente/dentate
Typicals
Low giant
Big mouth
Pinnacle
Ginormous
Deep red guerilla

Most are small plants right now and not even worth taking pics of.....yet
By FlyTrap Hunter
Fieldofscreams wrote:Wish I had more but I have to be careful having to many to care for.

So far I have
Dcxl
G16
Seed grown
Jaws
Justina Davis
Wally
B52
Dente/dentate
Typicals
Low giant
Big mouth
Pinnacle
Ginormous
Deep red guerilla

Most are small plants right now and not even worth taking pics of.....yet
They will perk up shortly. It's Spring. I have a few that look fantastic after dormancy. Yours are probably still waking up. I didn't know my Fly Traps could look so good and it's because they look better after dormancy. I think the Maxsea helped in the winter but I am not using it now because I am afraid it will burn up the plants in the summer

By Fieldofscreams
I hope so, some of my cultivars just aren't doing very well in my climate/growing conditions and others are growing with a vengeance.

If by the end of the growing season the ones that still aren't doing well I might trade/sell them. I will PM you first and maybe we can trade if your interested.

Out of all of them big mouth is the one really lagging behind, she just don't like Michigan very much lol
By Fieldofscreams
DCXL just blowing up, dividing like crazy and all the plants are doubling in size seemingly every month. Ill try to get some better pics, all I have is my phone for pic taking. I had to take pics quick while it had a lot of traps open, my plants rarely have open traps.

By Jagasian
Fieldofscreams wrote:DCXL just blowing up, dividing like crazy and all the plants are doubling in size seemingly every month. Ill try to get some better pics, all I have is my phone for pic taking. I had to take pics quick while it had a lot of traps open, my plants rarely have open traps.

Looks like it is an incredibly effective hunter.
By Fieldofscreams
It definitely is, out of all my cultivars this one is among the fastest closing and with the long teeth it makes it even more deadly, its success rate is incredible.

Most of my traps are closed at least 90% of the time on all my cultivars. They are rarely open, which kind of sucks sometimes. That is weird to say I know.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Fieldofscreams wrote:It definitely is, out of all my cultivars this one is among the fastest closing and with the long teeth it makes it even more deadly, its success rate is incredible.

Most of my traps are closed at least 90% of the time on all my cultivars. They are rarely open, which kind of sucks sometimes. That is weird to say I know.
Catching flys like that, they will grow like crazy. I get that the fly trap doesn't look as good with all the traps shut. It's a great looking plant regardless.

By Fieldofscreams
Should have put them in one of my 5x5x7 pots lol

Before:

After:

Ginormous before:

After:

G16 before:

After:

Wally Before:

After:

Little Justina before:

After:

Jaws before:

After:
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!