FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By RLK
Matt: this is directed at you, or anyone else who is familiar with seedlings.

so in my shipment of plants from matt i got a massive bundle of Sphagnum moss. i tossed this in water to let it rehydrate and loosen up. as i was going through the strands trying to pick out the best looking ones i found him:

he/she is a cute lil' sprout of something. no telling what. here it is in some generic 3 parts sphagnum peat 2 parts perlite cp mix.

now i noticed the brown tip on the end, im thinking that may be it dying. if so: "c'est la vie" if not... well then i hope the lil' guy grows up to be a big strong something. Thanks for the free plant matt.

oh yeah.. any ideas what this is?
By Matt
I have no idea what that could be RLK. Some of the moss I have I grow outside, so it could be a seed from one of the plants in my backyard or my neighbors back yard. Interestingly, it almost looks like a baby Heliamphora, but I'm certain that's not what it is.
By RLK
so... gonna take a closer look at the lil' guy...

it has a tiny hole at the end, couldnt get my camera to focus on that point. looks almost like a sara. seedling i saw in another post. well im gonna treat it right and see what comes of it. hopefully it wont die.

~RLK
By linton
I hope that it turns out to be a Sarra seedling, but I don't like your chances. Most likely it is a sedge grass which has been cut during the milling process - most sedges are hollow and this would explain the hole in the end. The roots also look pretty extensive for such a small plant which again would suggest a sedge or grass.
By RLK
well that seedling came from Matt's live sphagnum moss. it wasnt found in commercially processed LFS. so... heres hopin'.
By linton
Haven't been fooling about with Heli seeds have you Matt?
By RLK
okay i knew i had seen something in this forum that was a bit similar:

from the post: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/topic5449.html

this is exactly what it looks like except the top is browning more, so its obviously hurting. it has the same lil' thread coming from the top and leaning over a smidge.

hmm... maybe i shouldnt have put him in CP potting media and just let him nest in the moss... oh well too late for regrets now. all we can do it wait and see. im not gonna risk stressing it out by messing with it again.

~RLK
By Matt
linton wrote:Haven't been fooling about with Heli seeds have you Matt?
Nope, not yet. I'm hoping that I've successfully pollinated one of my plants, but it doesn't look like it was.

It's also very unlikely to be a cobra lily, but not impossible.
By RLK
well im at a loss then. i guess my best bet is to just take care of the lil guy and hope it makes it. ill treat it like a VFT or other bog CP. it sprouted in your mess of Live Sphagnum so it has to like those conditions. I will keep you guys posted.

~RLK
By linton
Matt wrote:
linton wrote:Haven't been fooling about with Heli seeds have you Matt?
Nope, not yet. I'm hoping that I've successfully pollinated one of my plants, but it doesn't look like it was.

It's also very unlikely to be a cobra lily, but not impossible.
I'm hoping to pollinate my Heliamphora soon, I have two plants of the same species that are flowering at the same time. Will let you know if I get any seed & perhaps you can get it into TC.
By Matt
linton wrote:I'm hoping to pollinate my Heliamphora soon, I have two plants of the same species that are flowering at the same time. Will let you know if I get any seed & perhaps you can get it into TC.
Awesome! Yes, I'd love to get some Heli seeds to put into TC :D
By PitcherPlanter
i'd like to at least have seeds!

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!