FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Do_Gon
Hello all. Just a couple questions about my plants. Are these getting sunburned? What are the spots?
ImageImage
By optimus prime
Do you know what species that is
By optimus prime
If it’s an oreophila then it’s normal and you have nothing to worry about
By Nepenthes0260
Usually early season pitchers (oreo, flava) look burnt by this time of the year. It's nothing to worry about.
MikeB liked this
By Panman
Not oreo or flava. If it is rubra, I don't know what season they grow. It looks to me that the leaves got dried out. The soil looks like peat/perlite, which is good. How much water do they get? When and where did you get them? If they are new arrivals it may be sunburn as they are adjusting to the sun.
optimus prime liked this
By Do_Gon
Panman wrote:Not oreo or flava. If it is rubra, I don't know what season they grow. It looks to me that the leaves got dried out. The soil looks like peat/perlite, which is good. How much water do they get? When and where did you get them? If they are new arrivals it may be sunburn as they are adjusting to the sun.
Yes, peat/perlite is the mix. I have them in self-watering pots that I refill every few days with RO water. They are never without water. Actually, a very gracious member/ex-member here gifted them to me in July of last year. This is my first full season with them so I'm trying to learn all I can right now.
By optimus prime
Do_Gon wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:46 pm
Panman wrote:Not oreo or flava. If it is rubra, I don't know what season they grow. It looks to me that the leaves got dried out. The soil looks like peat/perlite, which is good. How much water do they get? When and where did you get them? If they are new arrivals it may be sunburn as they are adjusting to the sun.
Yes, peat/perlite is the mix. I have them in self-watering pots that I refill every few days with RO water. They are never without water. Actually, a very gracious member/ex-member here gifted them to me in July of last year. This is my first full season with them so I'm trying to learn all I can right now.
I wouldn’t recommend self watering pots I would just use saucers but it’s your choice. Overall the plants look healthy and it seems like you are doing a great job with them. Keep it up!
By Do_Gon
optimus prime wrote:
Do_Gon wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:46 pm
I wouldn’t recommend self watering pots I would just use saucers but it’s your choice. Overall the plants look healthy and it seems like you are doing a great job with them. Keep it up!
Thank you. I will. I know people here don't really care for the self watering pots but I like em. It's really no different than the tray method. You put water in your tray. I put it in the pot where it doesn't evaporate. What are the drawbacks you see with the self watering pots, if I may ask?
By optimus prime
Sometimes they don’t works but they also for some reason attract mold because they don’t evaporate
By Do_Gon
optimus prime wrote:Sometimes they don’t works but they also for some reason attract mold because they don’t evaporate
Oh, alright. Thanks. Yeah. You gotta rinse em out now and again. But I guess I'd rather do that than have to refill them every day. Each to their own.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!