FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By LotharZogg
I woke up this morning to see more than half of my S. Leucophylla x Oreophila pitchers shredded/ripped open. I attached a picture which shows the damage to one of them. What would do this, any way to prevent this from happening again?
Attachments:
IMG_5574.jpeg
IMG_5574.jpeg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 1944 times
By Dionae
Dog, racoon, some kind of animal. Maybe even a bird. It happens every now and then. They're just trying to get to the smell. They usually rip one open and realize it's not edible and move on. You could try some kind of protective netting and if that doesn't work and they keep getting shredded you can try a fence made from chicken wire.
Dionae liked this
By LotharZogg
I went to buy some chicken wire yesterday. I was gone less than 1 hour and came back to find all but one remaining S. Leucophylla x Oreophila pitcher torn to shreds. :( I should have brought it inside while I was gone, realized that a little too late. It seemed to be the only one they were interested in and also my favorite pitcher plant...
By Dionae
LotharZogg wrote:I went to buy some chicken wire yesterday. I was gone less than 1 hour and came back to find all but one remaining S. Leucophylla x Oreophila pitcher torn to shreds. :( I should have brought it inside while I was gone, realized that a little too late. It seemed to be the only one they were interested in and also my favorite pitcher plant...
So sorry. That always hurts.
Dionae liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!