FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
@hungry carnivores, How do you go about doing that? I've reused some moss that was still in decent shape but you bake it?
By tommyr
I buy Besgrow brand from Amazon. Although the past 2 years I been trying it on a few flytraps and honestly they don't do any better in it over peat/perlite. I much prefer peat and perlite. It's easier to remove from the roots during re-potting (it basically just falls away from the roots on it's own). It's messier but to me easier.
By Sundeewz
mcgrumpers wrote:IMO regular bettergro sucks... Bettergro premium is great, but the regular one not so much.
I did not know that there was a premium grade version of Better Gro sphagnum moss until you just brought this up, and apparently I've been using it this whole time. Huh.
By evenwind
Lonquen (BetterGro's supplier) produces two qualities - 5-star and 2-star. So "Premium" and "not-so-Premium"?
http://lonquenchile.cl/en/qualities-and-formats/
By Sundeewz
evenwind wrote:Lonquen (BetterGro's supplier) produces two qualities - 5-star and 2-star. So "Premium" and "not-so-Premium"?
http://lonquenchile.cl/en/qualities-and-formats/
I wonder if the 5 star and 2 star batch sometimes get mixed up because sometimes I find a clump of the poorer quality stuff mixed in with the premium grade.
By Intheswamp
Reviving an old thread here (I've never been really PC, anyhow! :mrgreen: ).

There are two versions of Better-Gro Sphagnum Moss:
  • "Sphagnum Moss - Long Fibered"
  • "Premium Grade - Orchid Moss"
Are both of these long fibered? If so, is one just cleaner with a better grade of moss in it? It appears that the "Long Fibered" version costs less but yet has more moss in it...???
By davinstewart
Imo, the "long fibers" of sphagnum moss are just a measure of how humid things are where the moss grows. If it's super humid they grow nice and long. If it's dry, they grow short and compact. Either one works nicely for me.
By Carnies
I've found the best deal on New Zealand Sphagnum, or Besgrow Sphagnum on hunterflytraps.com. They have a 40L compressed brick for only $40!! It's basically besgrow but with a few more debris.
By Panman
Carnies wrote:I've found the best deal on New Zealand Sphagnum, or Besgrow Sphagnum on hunterflytraps.com. They have a 40L compressed brick for only $40!! It's basically besgrow but with a few more debris.
What is it normally priced? Have you gotten it before?
By Carnies
No one has it in stock in the 40L size now, but normally I think it's 50+shipping. I have two compressed bricks at home and they are basically Besgrow but with some more debris. There are also pretty nice long strands. I highly recommend getting it when they have it in stock.
FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!