FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By oval
So I bought one of the Zerowater pitchers to use on my plants. I pour water through the filter and it read 0 ppm TDS. I took a sip and it tasted like distilled water, bland with nothing in it.

I let the pitcher fill up and tasted it again and I'm getting a kind of chemical/plastic taste to the water. It still reads 0 ppm, though. Is this still okay for the plants?

This happened on the first pitcher, so maybe it needs flushing first?

I'd actually rather drink tap water myself.
By evenwind
I've never had a problem with it - except when I've kept the filter in too long and it started to release all the stored impurities back into the water. I would suspect that the taste you're getting is from the pitcher itself, not the filter. It certainly won't hurt to flush the pitcher with tap water for a while and then reinstall the filter.

BTW, your tap water probably tastes better than any distilled water, apparently humans need some minerals in the water to make it taste "good".
By Copper2
Distilled water tastes great. RO is also great. Prefer them over tap
By evenwind
Copper2 wrote:Distilled water tastes great. RO is also great. Prefer them over tap
Okay, you sent me out to the interwebs. This was sorta the consensus: "Distilled water is actually tasteless. This lack of flavor may take a short while to get used to, but once you get accustomed to drinking distilled water, chlorinated tap water will seem offensive." So I guess it depends what you're actually used to and how bad your tap water really tastes.
By Copper2
Tasteless is actually a taste. Everything has flavor even if we don’t realize it. Like air - you may sometimes taste different flavors in the air such as after you eat beans
By steve booth
Water with nothing at all in it will absorb tastes readily from the container it is kept in. So unless your container is totally inert it will gain a taste from the container.
If it is 0 PPM it is good to go.
Cheers
Steve
By oval
steve booth wrote:Water with nothing at all in it will absorb tastes readily from the container it is kept in. So unless your container is totally inert it will gain a taste from the container.
If it is 0 PPM it is good to go.
Cheers
Steve
That's a good point - it makes sense. It does read 0 ppm. I'll let the pitcher sit with water in it for a few days and see if it can absorb out some of the plastic taste.
Thanks all!
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!