FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By kuurocats
Hi everyone!

I recent got some flytraps from a nusery since my MIL killed my first one by accident. I just wanted to make sure that they are in a decent condition, it's my first time dealing with dormancy (and I can be a fusser with my plants). I keep them in an open top terrarium outside where it's the sunniest on my balcony. My King Henry stays in it's own container since it's just too large. Any advice if you see something I could fix is always appreciated :D
Attachments:
20210114_141059.jpg
20210114_141059.jpg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 2657 times
20210114_141054.jpg
20210114_141054.jpg (3.98 MiB) Viewed 2657 times
20210114_141047.jpg
20210114_141047.jpg (3.72 MiB) Viewed 2657 times
By Panman
Overall, if they are dormant, I think they look okay. What soil are they potted in? The moss on top looks dry, how often do you water them and with what? Also, the first one looks like it may be planted too deeply. All that should be below the surface is the white part of the rhizome (where the leaves join together). I am not sure about the other ones. Maybe we can get an opinion from another set of eyes.
Benny, kuurocats liked this
By kuurocats
Panman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:50 pm Overall, if they are dormant, I think they look okay. What soil are they potted in? The moss on top looks dry, how often do you water them and with what? Also, the first one looks like it may be planted too deeply. All that should be below the surface is the white part of the rhizome (where the leaves join together). I am not sure about the other ones. Maybe we can get an opinion from another set of eyes.
They're potted in sphagnum peat moss that arrived with them to plant them in. I also have my own bag of it that I flushed with water to make sure it wouldn't be so hydrophobic. I use the distilled water from Walmart and I usually use a spray bottle specifically for the water since I don't want it getting mixed with anything else by accident. I usually water every 2-3 days (since I'm pretty sure my last one got drowned and I'm worried of doing it again).
By Benny
I cast my vote on under watering. They look like you let them dry out a little too much before watering. Survivable, but not ideal. Keep the soil as consistently moist as you can. What I do is I soak the soil all the way through, let the water drain out, then don't water again until the pot is light (but the top is still moist).

Moist is like a soaked kitchen sponge that has been squeezed out, wet is a sponge that hasn't been squeezed out.
Panman wrote:Also, the first one looks like it may be planted too deeply.
Agreed.
kuurocats liked this
By MikeB
I agree with Panman: the plant in the 1st pic is planted a bit too deep. No soil should cover the growth point (that encourages rot to set in).

The plant in the 2nd pic looks okay.

The plants in the 3rd pic don't appear to be planted correctly. It looks like the original soil ball is tilted and/or sticking up out of the moss.

For watering, a spray bottle may not be enough. They need to be thoroughly damp for at least 3 inches / 7 centimeters below the surface, then sit for 3-4 days before getting watered again (in the winter; in the summer, you may have to water them every other day to keep them damp). I would use a small cup and pour water around them, pretty much like you'd do with any other houseplant.
kuurocats liked this
By kuurocats
Benny wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:19 am I cast my vote on under watering. They look like you let them dry out a little too much before watering. Survivable, but not ideal. Keep the soil as consistently moist as you can. What I do is I soak the soil all the way through, let the water drain out, then don't water again until the pot is light (but the top is still moist).

Moist is like a soaked kitchen sponge that has been squeezed out, wet is a sponge that hasn't been squeezed out.
Panman wrote:Also, the first one looks like it may be planted too deeply.
Agreed.
Thank you so much for the help :D I'll make sure for the coming days to give them more water (but obviously not go overboard haha). Do you think they'll be able to be alright from this mistake? I really don't want to make the same mistakes that got my last one sent to an early grave.

Also since I read that today I removed that one to replant it better so it's not so stuck in the soil. The rhizome is still very white and firm so I don't think it caused any permanent damage.
By kuurocats
MikeB wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:54 am I agree with Panman: the plant in the 1st pic is planted a bit too deep. No soil should cover the growth point (that encourages rot to set in).

The plant in the 2nd pic looks okay.

The plants in the 3rd pic don't appear to be planted correctly. It looks like the original soil ball is tilted and/or sticking up out of the moss.

For watering, a spray bottle may not be enough. They need to be thoroughly damp for at least 3 inches / 7 centimeters below the surface, then sit for 3-4 days before getting watered again (in the winter; in the summer, you may have to water them every other day to keep them damp). I would use a small cup and pour water around them, pretty much like you'd do with any other houseplant.
I really appreciate all this help from everyone!! I'll make sure for the next few days to keep an extra special eye on the soil so it's always moist.

I have also moved the first one up further so it's not so far in and the rhizome was still very white and firm so I don't think it caused any issues. I will take a better look at the third one in the morning tomorrow and try to adjust it better. I want to really get it right this time and hearing these tips makes me feel a lot less anxious :)
By Matt
To add a bit to what others have said, it would appear that the fact they are poorly potted is the main problem, with the evenness of the surface of the soil being another issue.

When you pot a flytrap, the crown (where the traps emerge) should be level with the surface of the soil with no white part of the rhizome (bulb) showing. And the surface of the soil should be made as flat and even as possible so that water doesn't evaporate from one area more quickly.

Also, it sounds as though you have them in a terrarium of sorts and in the photos, it looks like it might not have any drainage? If that's the case, you'll want to repot them in something with good drainage. Large, deep pots are ideal for flytraps because the soil can be thoroughly watered and then allowed ot dry over the course of quite a number of days where it stays ideally moist. Take a look at how I grow my mother plants in large pots in the photo below.

In the winter, I might water them once ever 2 or so weeks. During the summer months, it is about once a week unless it is very hot and dry, then it might be as frequently as once every 3 days or so. To know when it is time to water, I simply watch the surface of the moss for signs of dryness then I lift the pots to check the weight. If they are light, it means they are running low on water and ready for another soaking.
The whole darn family.jpg
The whole darn family.jpg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 2459 times
MikeB, kuurocats liked this
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!