FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Tenzou
Hi! I just repotted my vft in peat/perlite mix from long fiber moss media. How can I really tell if the soil is just moist , no longer wet and time to water it? I can’t visually differentiate what wet soil and moist soil look like. I’m new to peat moss media.
By optimus prime
You could get a moisture tester but Those are expensive the easier solution is to put it in a saucer and keep it fill up all the time. There bog plants so you can’t overwater them. Happy growing!
-Jayden
By Tenzou
I read somewhere that the tray method can cause root rot so I was trying not to put it in a tray.
By optimus prime
I use trays and it’s fine, you can ask anyone on the forum and they probably do the same. Again these are plants that grow in swamps so they can’t get root rot or be overwatered. But if you wanna know how to see if it’s moist I would get a moisture tester
Tenzou liked this
By Panman
optimus prime wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:43 pm I use trays and it’s fine, you can ask anyone on the forum and they probably do the same. Again these are plants that grow in swamps so they can’t get root rot or be overwatered. But if you wanna know how to see if it’s moist I would get a moisture tester
Not entirely true. Flytraps can get root rot if their roots are sitting in water. Where they grow natively, the soil is very sandy and well drained but there is a high water table. That way they are always damp but not soggy for long periods of time. Generally, if you have the greater portion of the pot out of water than in, they will be okay. My rule of thumb for VFT is 1" of water in the tray, 4" of soil above the water level. Pitcher plants, particularly purpurea, are a different story. They love to be soggy.
Tenzou, MikeB, _-SphagnumFromHell-_ and 1 others liked this
By Tenzou
optimus prime wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:43 pm I use trays and it’s fine, you can ask anyone on the forum and they probably do the same. Again these are plants that grow in swamps so they can’t get root rot or be overwatered. But if you wanna know how to see if it’s moist I would get a moisture tester
Do you guys let the trays dry out completely before filling them up again? If yes, how long do you keep your trays dry before refilling them?
By Tenzou
Panman wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:14 pm My rule of thumb for VFT is 1" of water in the tray, 4" of soil above the water level.
I’ll try to do the same. Thanks!
By optimus prime
I usually check mine twice a day(I live in Texas no explanation needed😂) if it’s empty I refill it if there is some still in there I leave it
Tenzou liked this
By DesertPat
IMO the best way to tell is the finger test. With a 1:1 of peat and perlite it is time to water again when the surface starts feeling dry to the touch and is firm but not crackly. The media also will lighten as it dries, you'll get the feel for it with time.

Patrick
Tenzou liked this
By Panman
Tenzou wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:34 pm Do you guys let the trays dry out completely before filling them up again? If yes, how long do you keep your trays dry before refilling them?
No, don't let the trays dry out. Beside adding water to the roots it also provides humidity.
By MikeB
Panman wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:14 pmWhere they grow natively, the soil is very sandy and well drained but there is a high water table. That way they are always damp but not soggy for long periods of time.
To put it in human terms: Venus flytraps like to get their feet wet, but they don't want to wade in up to their waists.
Panman liked this
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!