FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Hello! I have a few heat related concerns about my flytraps and sarracenia. Here in central Florida, the heat seems to be taking a toll on my plants. They dont grow all to quickly, their traps come out small and (sometimes) deformed and overall they just look pretty ratty. They get over six hours of direct sun a day and I keep the solid moist. However, I was wondering if keeping the soil more wet would be advised due to the extreme heat they have to deal with? Perhaps even less sunlight? What would you guys recommend that I do for them? And for those that also live in hot climates, what do you guys do for your plants to help them look their best during summer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By Panman
Pictures would really help. I am south of Atlanta, GA and have my pitchers, flytraps and sundews in full sun. I think it is probably about 6 hours of morning, midday sun and then shade the rest of the day. I water them daily. Flytraps are the hardest because I have shallower pots and can't sit them in too much water. It also depend on the species. My flava have about had it for the summer.
By That one plant boi
Panman wrote:Pictures would really help. I am south of Atlanta, GA and have my pitchers, flytraps and sundews in full sun. I think it is probably about 6 hours of morning, midday sun and then shade the rest of the day. I water them daily. Flytraps are the hardest because I have shallower pots and can't sit them in too much water. It also depend on the species. My flava have about had it for the summer.
Sorry about the bad quality.

The moss is just used as top dressing. They are planted in a peat and perlite.
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
By Panman
I would say the biggest thing you can do to help your plants is to get them sitting in trays of water. The pitchers should be in deeper water than the flytraps. I would say 3 inches of water for the pitchers and 1 inch for the flytraps. They are bog plants and want to be constantly wet. Sitting them in water is the best way to keep them that way. The tips of some of the pitchers look a little crispy but I think that is probably lack of water. That is my 2 cents. Hopefully others will chime in if they see something different.
By Sundeewz
Panman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:43 pm I would say the biggest thing you can do to help your plants is to get them sitting in trays of water. The pitchers should be in deeper water than the flytraps. I would say 3 inches of water for the pitchers and 1 inch for the flytraps. They are bog plants and want to be constantly wet. Sitting them in water is the best way to keep them that way. The tips of some of the pitchers look a little crispy but I think that is probably lack of water. That is my 2 cents. Hopefully others will chime in if they see something different.
I agree, with the summer heat right now in my zone my VFTs and Sarracenias would be toasted without a tray of water to put them in. The water evaporates and cools down the plants. In fact, the largest problem I have right now with my cephalotus is heat since water trays will rot it.
By ChefDean
I think Panman has hit the nail on the head. I'm seeing similar results in Tennessee, but I have mine set up to get direct morning light until about noon-ish, then shaded light after that.
Many of my plants still don't like it, and I'm giving a bunch away so that others can try them rather than let them fry. My Sarrs and VFT's are loving it, but some of my dews are suffering.
If you can, try to get them shaded earlier, perhaps with shade cloth. But it may be a consequence of "zone". They just might not be able to deal with the higher sunlight intensity.
It sucks, but you might have to consider the needs of the plant over your want to grow it.
Good luck,
Chef

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!