FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By CarnivorousChick
Can someone please help me? I don't know much about Utricularia.... but seen some pics of some different ones.... this looks so similar to some I've seen. I have found this growing in several of my bogs and Drosera pots.
I'm not sure exactly what it is... if it's a type of moss or Utricularia.
Here are a couple of pics I took:Image

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
It's probably either U. bisquamata or U. subulata. Those are the two that typically take over like that and both have the same tiny leaves. You can tell by the flowers - bisquamata is purple or white with a yellow center, while subulata has yellow flowers but they often don't open at all and just directly produce seed pods. I do see at least one seed pod in your pictures.
nimbulan liked this
By CarnivorousChick
hollyhock wrote:I believe it's a utricularia..It looks exactly like my u.prehensilis... not giving you an identification but it's a utricularia imo... :D
Thank you Hollyhock! I was thinking I had myself Utricularia! Yay! I don't know where I came from. But so glad it did!

By CarnivorousChick
nimbulan wrote:It's probably either U. bisquamata or U. subulata. Those are the two that typically take over like that and both have the same tiny leaves. You can tell by the flowers - bisquamata is purple or white with a yellow center, while subulata has yellow flowers but they often don't open at all and just directly produce seed pods. I do see at least one seed pod in your pictures.
Thank you Nimbulan! Thank you for sharing the facts about how they flower and seed. Yes...this never produced open flowers, but many many seed pods! I so wish I had known what I had at the time. Utricularia is very new to me... I've spent so much time on VFTs and Sarracenia's that I hadn't done much wandering around the CP variety table.... except to grow 3 Nepenthes and failed at Pinguicula's. But would like to try those again, sometime soon. I'm trying to create a better set up now.
Thanks again!

I can vouch for this statement. Trader Joe's had a[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!