FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By boltano
Hello my Venus fly trap is quite small, I have gave it mineral spring water as there's no rainfall yet, I have gave it mineral water 2 times. People told me it won't Harm it yet. How can I grow my trap to a bigger size so it can actually fit a fly in there, I give it 12 hours light everyday so. I am going to give it mineral water 1 more time as the soil is quite dry. So can anybody give me tips on how to make my fly traps heads bigger or make it grow so it can actually eat a fly.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (731.41 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
By Mufasa
Didnt you post this picture yesterday asking about the mineral water, and people said YES, it will harm the plant?

these plants need low mineral content water, using mineral spring water will probably be much worse for it than using tap water.. it's like you're pouring water over it with a concentrated amount of what it doesnt want

to make the fly traps bigger (well, you can't really force them to be, it's up to the plant, but..)... give it PURE water- Demineralised water, distilled water, "Pure" water, reverse osmosis water, rain water, all those will work- MInERAL water is no good.

that size looks like it should be big enough to eat a fly too? only for whatever reason all the traps are closed (either you're playing with them too much, they have just been repotted , or maybe that mineral water is having a bad effect on it)
Mufasa, Mufasa liked this
By Earthy
1) your flytrap looks to be a good size. that doesn't look like a small one to me. and the fact that some of the traps are sealed says that it is catching bugs.

2) there is NOTHING special you can do to make it grow bigger faster. flytraps don't grow as quick as normal plants; just let it do it's thing and stop playing and messing with it. it will catch its own food. if you keep using the mineral water and watering it so often that it stays wet all the time (it looks to be in straight peat and wet already) you are running the risk of giving it a fungal infection which then you may lose the plant. which has been stated in another thread. get distilled water not mineral water.
By Matt
Earthy wrote:your flytrap looks to be a good size. that doesn't look like a small one to me.
Agreed. It looks like a fully mature flytrap to me. Many people have an idea that these plants are huge, but they're actually pretty small plants.
Earthy wrote:there is NOTHING special you can do to make it grow bigger faster. flytraps don't grow as quick as normal plants;
Right. Just give it good care, with plenty of sunlight and don't worry about bugs and it will continue to grow fine :)
Matt liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!