Page 2 of 3

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:56 pm
by Matt
nesler wrote:I understand that desire you have to follow their development - hence my keenness to get a set of seedlings or seeds before the growing season is over. Perhaps you should just thin things out a bit. Then you can study your plants at more of an individual level.

Hah, it sounds like you're trying to persuade me into selling you a pot of these. ;)

I'm going to give away (well I ask for $1 to cover shipping) at least 5 more packets of seed soon (this week), so you should have a chance to get some. People that already got some from me won't be able to sign up until I've given everyone else a chance to get them.

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:36 pm
by nesler
Oh yeah, there's definitely an obvious bias, of course. But they're your babies, and it's a hard thing to get rid of something that you, in a sense, created. So you've just gotta do what makes you happy. Which is why you have so many of them in the first place. :)

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:06 pm
by Matt
nesler wrote:So you've just gotta do what makes you happy.

Yes, but I also want to spread the joy that these plants bring me and make other people happy. In a sense, I really do want to sell them to people to get them out there and make others happy. But I really want to get a store going and in the long run, I think it's going to be better for me to build some stock first before I start selling stuff.

If I sold or gave away everything that people ask me for (I get a ton of requests for plants and seeds), I wouldn't have a collection left...hah.

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:54 am
by Siannuro
Those are looking super great! I really enjoying growing vfts from seeds even if they take long to reach adult size. It's just fun!

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:38 am
by lemonlily
Those look very healthy. I'm going to force Matt to repot all of them. :twisted:

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:24 am
by nesler
Matt wrote:
nesler wrote:So you've just gotta do what makes you happy.

Yes, but I also want to spread the joy that these plants bring me and make other people happy. In a sense, I really do want to sell them to people to get them out there and make others happy. But I really want to get a store going and in the long run, I think it's going to be better for me to build some stock first before I start selling stuff.

If I sold or gave away everything that people ask me for (I get a ton of requests for plants and seeds), I wouldn't have a collection left...hah.


Excellent points. So, I guess, that'll be a project for next spring then. :)

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:41 am
by Matt
nesler wrote:Excellent points. So, I guess, that'll be a project for next spring then. :)

Yep, for sure. Tentative launch date for the flytrapcare store is March 2010.

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:52 am
by nesler
Very cool. :)

I think I'm going to order some seeds from Steve tonight to hedge my bets, in case the younger, more rascally new folks beat me to the punch when you make your generous and kind offer public.

Dear god, I'm an impatient sucker.

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:05 am
by Nickrober
Matt wrote:Yep, for sure. Tentative launch date for the flytrapcare store is March 2010.

Can't wait! I'll make a purchase for sure!

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:19 am
by Siannuro
Nickrober wrote:
Matt wrote:Yep, for sure. Tentative launch date for the flytrapcare store is March 2010.

Can't wait! I'll make a purchase for sure!

That would make 2 of us! :lol:

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:44 pm
by hackerberry
How did I missed this post???? Very nice Matt! Welcome to the Field of Screams!!!!!

hb

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:54 pm
by kevinqwe
holy!!!

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:16 pm
by lemonlily
hackerberry wrote:How did I missed this post???? Very nice Matt! Welcome to the Field of Screams!!!!!

hb


I totally missed it the first day.

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:39 am
by Adam
Just curious how you would ship a pot of seedlings. Won't they get all buried in the dirt during shipping? Maybe you would need to put a net or mesh or something on top of the soil and a bit below the soil. Then you could lift the top layer of soil off, cover with LFS, put in a ziplock, squish between 2 pieces of cardboard and ship like that? Like a sandwich? :D

Re: One year old VFT seedlings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:12 am
by Matt
Adam wrote:Just curious how you would ship a pot of seedlings. Won't they get all buried in the dirt during shipping? Maybe you would need to put a net or mesh or something on top of the soil and a bit below the soil. Then you could lift the top layer of soil off, cover with LFS, put in a ziplock, squish between 2 pieces of cardboard and ship like that? Like a sandwich? :D

Steve sent me a pot full of Sarr seedlings and they came through just fine. He covered them in perlite, then packed long fibered sphagnum on top of them and then put the lid on the container they were in. Worked like a charm!