FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
Even if the altitude was low, I think it's just to darn cold for too long, and the flytraps froze to death.
By Artchic528
MikeB wrote:Even if the altitude was low, I think it's just to darn cold for too long, and the flytraps froze to death.
That too. ;) :lol:
By Benny
Matt wrote:That observation entry was just added to the site 13 days ago and hasn't been verified
That is why I hadn't noticed it before! I am skeptical as well. Maybe It will be verified soon. Strange though that suddenly bam! Venus flytraps in another country! It would have to be introduced, and if it were being introduced, the carnivorous plant community would have heard about the efforts.

We shall see how this plays out!

EDIT: I looked at the Identifier's profile, and he 'discovered' a cape sundew in the same area.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/44974185
I totally believe him... No I don't! The plant is in a pot!
By Huntsmanshorn
MikeB wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:21 am From what I've read, Dan Winters tried this a few decades ago. He had a large number of Venus flytraps growing naturalized on his property in Mississippi. He later moved to Colorado and brought a few hundred flytraps with him. He planted them outdoors in Colorado and gave them minimal protection during the winter. Dan's thinking was that the more cold-hardy plants would survive and reproduce. I don't know how successful he was was with this experiment.
Thank you MikeB your post was very helpful.
By Matt
Artchic528 wrote:My guess is that it wasn't very successful. Though Colorado temps are relatively mild in the winter, there's the altitude to factor in.
Agreed that the winters are pretty mild in CO, but they can also be quite bitterly cold. We lived in Boulder for 2 years and the last winter we were there, we had a week long cold snap where the temperatures didn't get above -10F!! I don't think even the hardiest flytraps could survive that, but I've not done much experimentation with keeping them frozen for extended periods of time. I don't think the altitude really affected Venus flytraps much, at least not that I could see.

I did leave some flytraps outside all winter here in Ashland for a couple of winters. Our winters are quite mild, with the coldest temperatures being in the single digits to teens and average lows in the upper 20s or low 30s. In a very large pot, the Venus flytraps all survived just fine (they were B52s), even the smallest ones. But in smaller pots, they all perished.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!