FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Jds197
Posts:  168
Joined:  Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:34 pm
#224902
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any available drosera, either young or adult plants. I'm looking for adelae, tokaiensis, spatulata, burmannii (specifically the larger forms), aliciae, admirabilis, intermedia (tropical or temperate), filiformis "Florida all-red", and various binata varieties. I'm also interested in some of the cooler capensis types. I can only pay using paypal at the moment. Thanks!
Last edited by Jds197 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
By nimbulan
Posts:  2076
Joined:  Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
#224915
I wouldn't consider D. adelae an easy plant personally. I've found it very temperamental and in the 2 years I've owned it I haven't been able to keep it happy for more than a couple days at a time.
By BrunoL
Posts:  242
Joined:  Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:23 pm
#224917
What would you consider "cooler" Drosera Capensis types? I have a few drosera Capensis divisions that I can offer. (Or seeds since my mature Capensis just opened its first flower this morning)
By Jds197
Posts:  168
Joined:  Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:34 pm
#224926
BrunoL wrote:What would you consider "cooler" Drosera Capensis types? I have a few drosera Capensis divisions that I can offer. (Or seeds since my mature Capensis just opened its first flower this morning)
I'd love to get my hands on a red, giant, or Bains Kloof. Let me know what you have and I'll consider it.
Last edited by Jds197 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Jds197
Posts:  168
Joined:  Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:34 pm
#224942
nimbulan wrote:I wouldn't consider D. adelae an easy plant personally. I've found it very temperamental and in the 2 years I've owned it I haven't been able to keep it happy for more than a couple days at a time.
Yeah, I've heard some people struggle with them for some reason. It's still something that I'm interested in, D. adelae is just a cool looking plant overall.
User avatar
By nimbulan
Posts:  2076
Joined:  Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
#224945
Jds197 wrote:
nimbulan wrote:I wouldn't consider D. adelae an easy plant personally. I've found it very temperamental and in the 2 years I've owned it I haven't been able to keep it happy for more than a couple days at a time.
Yeah, I've heard some people struggle with them for some reason. It's still something that I'm interested in, D. adelae is just a cool looking plant overall.
In my experience the plant is very picky about the amount of light it receives and is very slow to adapt to changing conditions. The leaves burn very quickly if given too much light. I get the impression it's very hard to kill though: When the leaves start burning, it sends up more sprouts all over the pot to compensate.
By Jds197
Posts:  168
Joined:  Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:34 pm
#224963
nimbulan wrote:In my experience the plant is very picky about the amount of light it receives and is very slow to adapt to changing conditions. The leaves burn very quickly if given too much light. I get the impression it's very hard to kill though: When the leaves start burning, it sends up more sprouts all over the pot to compensate.
This sounds alot like my young d. regia (currently my only sundew), I can't get it to size up and its leaves die off just as fast as it can produce them. Hence why I'm interested in something I can actually grow and looks nice.
User avatar
By nimbulan
Posts:  2076
Joined:  Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
#224965
Jds197 wrote:This sounds alot like my young d. regia (currently my only sundew), I can't get it to size up and its leaves die off just as fast as it can produce them. Hence why I'm interested in something I can actually grow and looks nice.
D. capensis to the rescue. Good luck!
By w03
Posts:  393
Joined:  Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:46 am
#224968
I wonder if different clones of D. adelae are the reason for the unusually picky plants some people have...

Mine seem to do well in pretty much any light as long as they have good humidity and are planted in some sort of lfs-based medium.
User avatar
By nimbulan
Posts:  2076
Joined:  Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
#224969
w03 wrote:I wonder if different clones of D. adelae are the reason for the unusually picky plants some people have...

Mine seem to do well in pretty much any light as long as they have good humidity and are planted in some sort of lfs-based medium.
I was told that most D. adelae in cultivation are the same clone though I can't say how accurate this statement is. Mine's actually been perking up the last couple weeks after slowly moving it closer to my grow lights and leaving it there for 3 or 4 months (yes, it takes that long to adjust.) I've been planning on repotting it into LFS but hopefully that doesn't make it cranky for another 3 months.
By w03
Posts:  393
Joined:  Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:46 am
#224988
It's sort of strange that they take so long to adjust in your conditions... I have one growing on top of a running air-conditioner, and it took only about a week to adjust. I think lfs based medium really helps this species. When I grew it in peat-based media it always looked a little sickly, at least in terrarium conditions.
By Jds197
Posts:  168
Joined:  Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:34 pm
#225235
Picked up some D. Spatulata from a friend and will soon be getting some D. Binata typicals thanks to MrsMuscipula. Still interested in finding a few more, like Marston's Dragon or D. multifida extrema, along with others in my original post. Also added D. aliciae and D. admirabilis to my search.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By KissMegan
Posts:  660
Joined:  Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:07 am
#225244
We have some Marstons dragon in the greenhouse. Unfortunately we're not allowed to take anything from the greenhouse and I always find scale on them so you wouldn't want them anyways. They surprisingly look amazing even with being attacked by bugs. Probably one of my favorite drosera.
Someday I'll sneak a cutting and see if I can get strikes haha
Species guessing game

Hint 1: It is native to Australia Hint 2: the lea[…]

Albino Cape seed giveaway

:lol: Dean, I think we would get along real well.[…]

What is on my Fly Trap?

Now Mike, you're tipping your hat that you live in[…]

Ah sorry tommyr I just scanned through my old po[…]

Cape Sundew Death???

A TDS meter would be helpful to your cause overall[…]

Drosera regia Help!!!

Yeah, I find the more I work with plants that a lo[…]

Filiformis dew?

This is a tracyi

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!