FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Cory
I suppose it may make a difference in ones micro climate as well.
Probably the type of plant that's infested also.
Everyone's issues may be different in the end idk.
I can only speak for what worked for me and how hard of a time I had getting them gone.
I tried neem oil at first and it did kill everything you could see but they did come back after awhile even though the plant was isolated.
I switched to systemic and it took nearly 4 treatments spread apart when I noticed them being very small.
That was the ticket and how I ridded myself of them in the end.

I'm much more careful now. I don't take chances anymore.
By Nevermore
I know you say that you haven't been doing CPs for a ton of years, but are you are saying you lost plants from scale? I just don't hear of people loosing plants to this type of pest. There are plenty of other easy and quick ways to kill a heli compared to scale.

There is no reason for me to debate if I gave you scale or if there were preexisting issues, but when I have received plants and noticed issues in my quarantine period... I notified the seller/trader to say "heads up... the plant you sent has mealybugs/mites/scale/aphids/etc" and then treat it as needed. I in no way infer that it was maliciously sold to me and others. I am sure having a collection get infected was a pain, but I received no communication from you on this issue.

So for the rest of you as an FYI, up until Saturday my plants hadn't been touched since I bug bombed them last September to be shipped as a preventative.... and I still see no signs of any issues today... which includes the helis from the very same division that is talked about above. I haven't been doing much with them besides keeping them watered.

As will all my orchids and cps i have ever traded/sold, these last plants have again been bug bombed and have had a systemic applied as a preventative. So for anyway that ends up receiving these plants, have due diligence in regards to guaranteeing them as you normally would. If any issues arise... let me know.

I have PMd all that are interested.
By dmagnan
For what it's worth, I've also cleared a scale infection very easily with just one acephate treatment. I can't speak to how fast they spread because soon after I noticed them I sprayed, and they disappeared. They haven't come back in the past few years.

buakawswagyo, so it sounds like you had no scale when the plant first arrived, then mold months later. You say you then found scale, but you've already shown that you can't tell the difference between scale and flakes of media. Do you have any pictures of the supposed scale from when you discovered something between the pictures months later? Also, I have a hard time believing that an infection could spread for months before it was even noticeable, especially if scale spreads quickly as you say. If you did in fact have scale, but only months after the plant arrived, it's equally likely that the plants got infected while they were in your care. Right now you're making a pretty serious accusation with no corroborating evidence, even anecdotal.
By Matt
Dionae wrote:Ive had it pop up a few times but after one treatment of insecticide I never see them again
Yep, same experience here.
Dionae wrote:I think mites and caterpillars are way worse than scale.
Mites are almost impossible to get rid of once you get them. You can treat them and keep them at bay for a few months, but they always return.
Cory wrote:I tried neem oil at first and it did kill everything you could see but they did come back after awhile even though the plant was isolated.
I switched to systemic and it took nearly 4 treatments spread apart when I noticed them being very small.
I wouldn't waste any time on neem oil with scale or mites. Just go with acephate. Kills it almost instantly and it never comes back (in my experience).
dmagnan wrote:For what it's worth, I've also cleared a scale infection very easily with just one acephate treatment.
This seems to be the way to go. That's 3 people now to report to this thread who used acephate one time and got rid of scale.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!