FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By chomato
Hello, so my VFT 'pink' has been outside since I go it at the beginning of 2019.

I know that they don't self pollinate like capensis and other droseras do, but since it's been outside the entire time, the flowers were probably pollinated sometime while they were opened. My VFT is on the dark side of coloration, so it is particularly difficult to discern whether the stalk is dried up or not.

For this reason , I can only base seed collection from the dryness of each flower. Problem is, I've never collected VFT seeds before so I'm not entirely sure how to go about the readiness of the pods for seed collection
By Artchic528
After the flowers are pollinated the petals dry up and fall off and reveal seedpods. The seed pods crack open, like Sanguinerocks101 said, and you should be able to see the cluster of shiny black seeds peeking out from within. That is when you should cut off the stalk, pods and all, and bring it inside to remove the seeds and let them dry. I haven't done this personally, but it should take a day or two for the seeds to dry and then they'll be ready to store or be sowed right away.
By chomato
Artchic528 wrote:After the flowers are pollinated the petals dry up and fall off and reveal seedpods. The seed pods crack open, like Sanguinerocks101 said, and you should be able to see the cluster of shiny black seeds peeking out from within. That is when you should cut off the stalk, pods and all, and bring it inside to remove the seeds and let them dry. I haven't done this personally, but it should take a day or two for the seeds to dry and then they'll be ready to store or be sowed right away.
Awesome, thanks for the tips! It rained, hard, recently, so hopefully the pods didn't crack open then. I'll make sure to look at each flower closely to see if there's anything there that resembles a pod

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!