FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By ApgarTraps
Thanks Mike!

After researching and learning that they're pretty easy to grow, I ordered a few from an established online retailer.

Thanks for your help!

/Mike
By Artchic528
Benny wrote:Ah. The give a lot more milk than Jersys!
Hence why they are the breed of choice for most dairy farmers.
By Benny
Artchic528 wrote: Hence why they are the breed of choice for most dairy farmers.
There! We did eventually loop back to the selective breeding! Although this one is not a faulty one.
By Artchic528
Benny wrote:
Artchic528 wrote: Hence why they are the breed of choice for most dairy farmers.
There! We did eventually loop back to the selective breeding! Although this one is not a faulty one.
Yup. Holstein cows have been selectively bred to produce way more milk than say Angus cows who are bred exclusively for meat production. In fact, holstiens can produce so much milk that without regular milking the buildup will cause infections, mastitis, and if it goes untreated will certainly lead to the cow's death.

So yes, to answer an earlier query, we humans have selectively bred certain animals to yield higher quantities of byproduct to the point where they are dependenant upon us to survive. This is actually an interesting process. The cows and bulls are both graded in certain attributes. Cows are graded on their udder size and shape, milk yields, and health and number of previous calves birthed while the bulls are graded on size of their testicles, sperm count and number of calves they've made. Then the farmer matches bulls to cows according to the grading they've gotten, IVF is done and if all goes well, a new calf is born a little over 9 months later.

Well, this is to an extent. So long as we regularly induce pregnancy on dairy cows, they'll lactate. That's the whole point of dairy farming. So we make them dependant on us in more ways than one.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Benny liked this
By sanguinearocks101
Artchic528 wrote:
Benny wrote:Ah. The give a lot more milk than Jersys!
Hence why they are the breed of choice for most dairy farmers.
I visited a dairy farm recently and they said that most dairy farmers are switching to a different type of cow that produces less milk, but the milk is creamier or something like that. Maybe they'll breed a Holstein cow and the other type of cow so they'll have a cow that produces an intermediate type of milk between the two breeds.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!