FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By crazy_carnivores
I have a really weird looking flytrap that I found hiding in one of the pots. I was wondering how people register a cultivar.
By Matt
To officially register a cultivar, it is done through the International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS) as described on the page Mike provided a link to. It is also possible to simply name your plant and then start distributing it. That's what I did for all of the flytrap cultivars I grew and named. It was only after the publishing of the Dionaea book by Stewart McPherson, where I co-authored the chapter on Dionaea cultivars, that they all became registered per item #2 on the page Mike linked to.

You don't need to officially register a cultivar for it to be desirable. There are lots of awesome flytrap cultivars in circulation that aren't registered with ICPS.

Also, I'd love to see a photo of the plant and a description of its unique characteristics!
crazy_carnivores, MikeB liked this
By crazy_carnivores
the flytrap is very young and is just coming out of dormancy. however, the plant has a really long petiole and also has very thin crown. I am really excited to see how the plant develops once it matures.
By Matt
Sounds promising! You'll need to observe it at least a couple of growing seasons before you can write an adequate description of the plant to officially register it as a cultivar if you decide to go that route.

I'm not sure what you mean by "thin crown." Can you post a photo of the little dude?!
crazy_carnivores liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!