FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I have a typical VFT with a flower stalk. I know, big deal, we all get 'em, just be quiet and listen!
It's about time to cut it, and I'm going to stick it in the moss to try for strikes, but I'd like some advice from those who have done it.
I've always thought you put the cut end about 1 inch deep in the moss, at least that's the pics I've seen. But I recently read (now, Murphy's Law, I can't find it to cite it) that you put the flower end into the moss. Maybe the author misspoke, or I read it wrong, but can this be done? Has anyone tried it? Logically, the tip of the stalk is the part that's growing, so it may be more productive. But when are plants logical, right? I haven't tried a flower stalk cutting ever, so I have no frame of reference to compare it to.
I have also read (again, I cannot find it now) that you can place the stalk cutting horizontally across the moss, lightly cover it so that it still gets light, and get strikes for the length of the stalk. Is this also a thing?
I'm not looking to get as many babies as possible to sell, I give a lot to teachers (I work for the County School System) and I have a few requests to hopefully fill when we return in the fall.
Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.
Chef
By ChefDean
I was thinking of cutting it into 3 separate pieces and trying all 3 methods; the piece with the flower bud down, the piece from the base of the flower stalk down, and middle piece horizontally placed. However, I have also heard that pieces with 2 cut ends, in this case the base piece and the middle piece, do poorly. Maybe due to the cut end allowing faster dehydration from not being intact. Perhaps the flower bud end would also suffer for having an exposed cut end.
I would be interested in hearing others experiences with these, or any, techniques/secrets/procedures/family recipes you may have.
By Benny
2 cut ends make 2 ways for bacteria to open, plus increased transpiration. The stalk is placed the same way it would grow. I have heard horizontally placing gives you many plants that will mature slow, while vertical gives you less, but faster growing and stronger plants. Your pick.
By Shadowtski
Maggie Chen, who is a spectacular Fly Trap grower posted or shared this video yesterday on Facebook.
You probably need a Facebook Account to be able to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/SoCalCP/?__tn_ ... JPtFx-Hdwq

I'm using a variant of her method.
I cut some fresh live Sphagnum moss and stuff it down a test tube.
Add a couple drops distilled water and shake out the excess.
Wait until your flower scape is 1 - 2 inches tall.
Cut off the VFT scape, very close to the plant.
Cut off the round bud at the end, toss it.
Put the bottom end of the cut flower scape into the live sphagnum moss.
I put it in halfway into the moss.
Cork it, label it, date it, and put it under bight lights for a month or two.

Good growing,
Mike
By Matt
Pretty much any section of a flower stalk can produce plants. They do best when they are quite young (2-3 inches tall), but if the flower stalk is healthy and still growing well and clean long fiber sphagnum is used, the strike rate should be quite high for any part of the flower stalk used. The segments can be laid on their side or stuck into the soil vertically about a half inch. There really isn't any secret on how to do it other than the stalk should be allowed to live as long as possible, which is easier to do with a semi-sterile environment. Long fiber sphagnum is much better for that than peat moss. Live sphagnum is better than dead long fiber sphagnum.
By ChefDean
Benny wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:30 pm 2 cut ends make 2 ways for bacteria to open, plus increased transpiration. The stalk is placed the same way it would grow. I have heard horizontally placing gives you many plants that will mature slow, while vertical gives you less, but faster growing and stronger plants. Your pick.
I didn't think of the bacteria Avenue, great point to consider.
Thank you.
By ChefDean
Shadowtski wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:36 pm Maggie Chen, who is a spectacular Fly Trap grower posted or shared this video yesterday on Facebook.
You probably need a Facebook Account to be able to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/SoCalCP/?__tn_ ... JPtFx-Hdwq

I'm using a variant of her method.
I cut some fresh live Sphagnum moss and stuff it down a test tube.
Add a couple drops distilled water and shake out the excess.
Wait until your flower scape is 1 - 2 inches tall.
Cut off the VFT scape, very close to the plant.
Cut off the round bud at the end, toss it.
Put the bottom end of the cut flower scape into the live sphagnum moss.
I put it in halfway into the moss.
Cork it, label it, date it, and put it under bight lights for a month or two.

Good growing,
Mike
I watched the video, I can't duplicate her technique, but very cool.
Be sure to let us know your results, I'm sure more people than just I would be interested.
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!