FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By KDH
My VFT seems to be coming out of dormancy and it looks like it's growing two flower stalks. Is it normal for them to have more than two stalks?
By Benny
Hi KDH. Flytraps will sometimes put out 2 flowers on one plant, but your plant may have divided. Look for multiple growth points around the plant.
By Fly Trap Hunter
if you don't want seeds or need seeds, its really stressful for a vft to flower, in fact it really will kill it sometimes. it takes all the energy out of the rhizome and in the end , there isn't much left.
just saying. but congrats on the flowers.
I have gotten a bunch of seeds but this year I am going to just do flower stalk strikes.
I am about to donate a bunch of fly trap seeds from cultivars to the seed bank if you want to get some of those. I think I will put 10 in a package.
By KDH
Thanks. How do you get seeds and what are flower stalk strikes? I'm new to all this
By KDH
Thanks. How do you get seeds and what are flower stalk strikes? I'm new to all this
By Fly Trap Hunter
the fly trap seeds come from the flowers. and little fly traps will grow from flowers stalk cuttings or leaf pulls or cuttings. sometimes you can just cut off the flower stalk and put it in soil beside the fly trap and it will strike. mine got too hot last year and dried out. this year i am going to put them in a tray with live long fiber sphagnum moss and put them in a sunny window. i have had bettr luck that way.
By KDH
So I can make a clone using the stalk, do I need root tone or anything? How do I do this?
By Fly Trap Hunter
you dont need anything but patience. like i said i have had the best luck with strikes/clones with live sphagnum moss. do a search for fly trap strikes and you should find plenty of info. new growth is the best for this but a little piece of white rhizome will strike also. i broke a 1/4 size piece of rhizome off a king henry about a year ago and put it in a pot and kept it wet and now i have 4 little king henrys. 2018 i got a bunch of strikes from flower stalks, and i bet i have 30 to 40 little fly trap cultivars now.
Drosera germination time

There are many factors that influence them, and th[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!