FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Secretariat73
tommyr wrote: What and how do you feed them? Inquiring minds want to know!
I can’t speak for stevelau1911, but my DC XL rhizome checked in at about a half inch last spring. When I repotted the plant last month, that rhizome measured over 1 ½ inches. It also generated a handful of divisions. The mother plant ate 1 or 2 adult cockroaches a week. The baby plantlets received about 6 newborn cockroaches last summer. DC XL is an incredibly vigorous grower!
By Secretariat73
Cross wrote:Question! Did you plant them after they seeded?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
None of them had a chance to seed. All of the flower stalks were cut before they hit 2 inches in height. They were tucked about half an inch into the LFSM. I gave them much less direct sunlight than the mother plants because without roots, I don't think the cuttings would have been able to tolerate prolonged exposure to desert sun. However, they always had bright indirect light. All of the cuttings enjoyed their first dormancy outside, and they are all slowly waking up for the growing season.
By tommyr
Secretariat73 wrote:
tommyr wrote: What and how do you feed them? Inquiring minds want to know!
I can’t speak for stevelau1911, but my DC XL rhizome checked in at about a half inch last spring. When I repotted the plant last month, that rhizome measured over 1 ½ inches. It also generated a handful of divisions. The mother plant ate 1 or 2 adult cockroaches a week. The baby plantlets received about 6 newborn cockroaches last summer. DC XL is an incredibly vigorous grower!
Oh I'm well aware of DCXL, I've had mine for a few years now and now have 2 pots full.
By stevelau1911
I like feeding them crickets, caterpillars, and ocassionally dried bloodworms if i cant find insects. Seems like the more they eat, the bigger the rhizomes get.
By Secretariat73
Cross wrote:Question! Did you plant them after they seeded?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I snip all flower stalks before they reach 2 inches in height. They are immediately placed in chopped LFSM. I use 3" pots for the cuttings, and they sit in an inch of water throughout the growing season (very hot and dry over here!).

Sorry about the late response. I didn't catch your post until just now. :(
By Secretariat73
With the fall/winter repotting ritual completed for all the flytraps in my collection (an unfortunate necessity due to mineral buildup during the growing season), I thought I would provide one final update on the progress of the strikes.

These photos were taken on 9/18/19, so it's been about 6 months since they were last repotted.

Here is Flaming Lips.
Flaming Lips
Flaming Lips
IMG_7717.JPG (2.89 MiB) Viewed 1952 times
Maroon Monster.
Maroon Monster
Maroon Monster
IMG_7721.JPG (2.96 MiB) Viewed 1952 times
Megatraps.
Megatraps
Megatraps
IMG_7727.JPG (2.88 MiB) Viewed 1952 times
Big Mouth.
Big Mouth
Big Mouth
IMG_7731.JPG (2.99 MiB) Viewed 1952 times
And DCXL. This is what the largest plantlet looks like now...
DCXL.  The largest plantlet.
DCXL. The largest plantlet.
IMG_7698.JPG (2.04 MiB) Viewed 1952 times
And here are the 3 other plantlets...
DCXL.  The 3 other plantlets.
DCXL. The 3 other plantlets.
IMG_7702.JPG (2.12 MiB) Viewed 1952 times
Those 4 DCXL plantlets have been busy doing some serious growing during the last 6 months! If they hadn't all been squeezed in so tightly in a small FTS cup, those roots would be much longer, and it is possible the rhizomes could have grown even larger or might have divided.

None of these plants were fed or were provided with MaxSea during 2018. When they broke dormancy in early 2019, I began feeding the larger traps some tiny gnats and midge flies. So, the growth I see blows my mind.

32 scape cuttings taken in 2019 produced strikes, and I'm looking forward to comparing results between the two growing seasons. Unfortunately, some curious birds messed with the sequoia-sized DCXL scape cutting this year and doomed it. So, I won't be able to see if that cutting might have replicated the magical performance of its predecessor. But it will be interesting to see if the 6 SD Kronos scape cuttings taken this year can come close. :)
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!