FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By uusa2000
Can you make a flower stalk "strike" and produce traps with a small slit with a razor?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By jwalker
You can cut them of and get them to strike like a leaf pulling
By uusa2000
jwalker wrote:You can cut them of and get them to strike like a leaf pulling
No. I mean without cutting the stalk off.

By Nick
uusa2000 wrote:
jwalker wrote:You can cut them of and get them to strike like a leaf pulling
No. I mean without cutting the stalk off.

It seems risky, especially since the plant is expending a lot of energy to flower. Instead of a false vivipary, you could just end up with a weakened plant with a dead flower stalk. I'd go the normal method of cutting if you're going for clones, or letting it go to seed if the plant is healthy enough.
By uusa2000
OK I will do some experiment soon. It sounds plausible because if it will grow traps when its cut and planted. Then it should be able to sprout traps if I can make stalk think its cut and planted already.

Last edited by uusa2000 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jwalker
I'm really not shore what makes a plants do this so I look forwardt o seeing your experiment.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Maybe try using keiki paste? It's usually used on orchid's flower stalks (On the nodes) to increase the chances of producing an orchid from the stalk instead of another flower. :)

There's another user here that's been experimenting with the keiki paste on Nepenthes, although they haven't seen a lot of progress.
Wikiwakawakawee liked this
By Adelaide
I've had quite a few plants produce viviparous sprouts. I don't know exactly what caused it, but the ones I had that did were kept in (relatively) low light - could be a lighting thing.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By uusa2000
Imageyes, this is an example of what I picture in my hypothesis. But vft don't have nodes on flower.

By xr280xr
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:Maybe try using keiki paste? It's usually used on orchid's flower stalks (On the nodes) to increase the chances of producing an orchid from the stalk instead of another flower. :)
That's what I was thinking. I have no idea if the hormones will be effective though.
But vft don't have nodes on flower.
It might be enough just to expose the the flower stalk to it. Or wait until it starts actually growing some flowers at which point it will branch out and there may be nodes at the base of the lateral shoots.
By bijillon
I use keiki paste and it works every time

Happy Growing,

Dillon
By xr280xr
bijillon wrote:I use keiki paste and it works every time
How do you use it?

Btw, I know we're talking about live stalks, but FYI, I have used it on cut flower stalks and have seen no difference.
By uusa2000
xr280xr wrote:
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:Maybe try using keiki paste? It's usually used on orchid's flower stalks (On the nodes) to increase the chances of producing an orchid from the stalk instead of another flower. :)
That's what I was thinking. I have no idea if the hormones will be effective though.
But vft don't have nodes on flower.
It might be enough just to expose the the flower stalk to it. Or wait until it starts actually growing some flowers at which point it will branch out and there may be nodes at the base of the lateral shoots.
See? We're on to something!![SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

By bijillon
xr280xr wrote:
bijillon wrote:I use keiki paste and it works every time
How do you use it?

Btw, I know we're talking about live stalks, but FYI, I have used it on cut flower stalks and have seen no difference.
Pull back the protective sheath around the nose, I made this mistake of just pulling it off but you can't because you need to see a little green numb in there, if you don't then you snapped off the node. From there put on keiki paste and enjoy after about a year or two a new plant.

Happy Growing,

Dillon
Perlite from Ebay

do you guys have a recommended brand thats availab[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!