Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:07 pm
I finally got up and stopped being lazy, deciding to take on the arduous task of hunting down tiny flytraps buried in an ocean of live sphagnum. This will be a picture heavy update in the last page!
LINK TO UPDATES:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 25#p290125
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 27#p290127
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I last made a post here. Hope you're all doing well.
In the last few months I've slowly grown my collection dramatically, although that subject might be reserved for another post.
Since I've finally kept quite a few flytraps alive through last winter, I was finally able to reap that success: flower stalks, and lots of them. In the last couple of months I've started to collect all of them once they grow long enough. I experimented with dropping them in a peat/perlite mix, same with a dead long fiber sphagnum mix and by itself. Waterlogged and moist. Lots of combinations. Sadly it ended almost always in failure, except a single plant. It eventually died.
Fast forward to a few weeks later. I decided to hoard more flower stalks and I then tried to drop them in my seemingly powerful container full of live sphagnum moss. In there almost anything that's half dead recovers, even if it's rotting or just a single leaf.
I wasn't really expecting too much from this considering the conditions within are a bit more waterlogged than what most dionaea like but I gave it a try anyway.
The results? I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. This is about a month in most of them, some a week or two longer.
This one was one of the first strikes.
The flower stalk itself had a strike
Here's one of the very dense clumps forming
Here's the oldest ones just getting transplanted into a peat/perlite mix.
I was extremely surprised to see such an incredible amount of success. Pretty much a 100% rate of strikes on all flower stalk cuttings. Laying them down did the best when it came to how many plantlets grew. I had heard a few times only one plant tends to come out of a single cutting but in here they're going wild. Again, I am amazed with the 'magic' live sphagnum produces with almost everything. In there they can even handle semi-waterlogged conditions with their rhizomes nearly or completely submerged.
Now I'm just hoping I get a few more stalks to start some more cuttings. Have a great weekend!