FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
Hello community,

Autumn is fast approaching in the UK, and that'll lead to Winter which means dormancy for most of our beloved carnivorous plants. I grow CP's for more than just a love of them, they keep me occupied and help me by offering me mental stimulation and physical activity, simply remembering to water them is a triumph for me due to medical illness.

Because of these reasons, I would love to have a few plants, not too many, that grow all year round and do not require a dormancy period to thrive. I'm aware that some species of sundew do not require dormancy, and I'm just wondering if anyone has a list of carnivorous plants that don't require them, so that while my babies are sleeping I still have something to take care of.

I of course respect that the majority of carnivorous plants are from hot and humid locations, and that dormancy in the winter is key to their survival, and so I shan't force my plants to be awake during winter, that is just unfair. I'm merely wondering if anyone knows of any UK-available plants that do not need their winter beauty sleep, or, better put, never go dormant in the winter.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.
By PitcherPlanter
Cephalotus follicularis
All Byblis
Drosera adelae
Drosera cistiflora
Drosera hilaris
Drosera macrantha
Drosera modesta
Drosera paradoxa
Drosera pauciflora
Drosera petiolaris
Drosera prolifera
Drosera schuzandra
Drosera subhirtella
Drosera trinervia
All Pygmy Sundews
Drosophyllum lusitanicum
Heliamphora
All Nepenthes
Pinguicula moctezumae
Uticularia alpina
Uticularia asplundii
Uticularia campbelliana
Uticularia humboldtii
Uticularia jamesoniana
Uticularia longifolia
Uticularia reniformis
Uticularia quelchii
And Maybe Some Others (Give or Take)
PitcherPlanter liked this
By HarrisAz
every cp that lived in the southeast asia,southern Aussie and near or on the equator dont need dormancy

(just for info)D.burmannii is a annual in its habitat from my observation.and its small too.only 1.5cm in diameter.
here are some pics from the field trip of Burmannii in the wild.my friend is the one who took the pics

its on a flat wide space on this grassland

but if u look closely and really deep,u will find some under ur feet!

u can grow this guys with Nepenthes Gracilis and N.Mirabilis bcoz they alse there

some boring utric

the media is 70%tiny sand mix with clay if im not wrong
those are in Kuching sarawak but there some burmannii available in terengganu,Peninsular Malaysia.heres a pic of them in the wild at terengganu
well some gracilis in the habitat was found

and theres burmannii of course!

they can grow on rocks,gravel and clay.

well thats all from me.this is just for entertainment.bye

Harris
HarrisAz, HarrisAz, HarrisAz liked this
By HarrisAz
no,my friend is the photographer.im a bit noob at taking photos.just following them to this places
By PitcherPlanter
Some of those listed are naturally seasonal but in cultivation they don't have dormancy. Live pygmy drosera, the are naturally dormant in summer till the winter rains but in cultivation, under grow lights they do not need the dormancy to survive.
PitcherPlanter liked this
By moof
Very nice photos, but Harris why do you think utrics are boring?:D U.minutissima on the photo.

Oh, and U.quelchii should have seasonal changes in watering and something dormancy-like during the summer... if you grow it on your windowsill.
By HarrisAz
weeds.i dont even know thats a CP until my friend told me last year.its everywhere.and i dont know hw they catch insects.they look like peeled leaves and long grass only with flower
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!