FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By alanmota2004
Hiya! I havent been on this forum in a very long while and i know i was controversial back then but i apologized and every was good afterwords.Anyways last week i got back into the carnvirous plant hobby after losing interest in the hobby for other things.And,so my addiction started up again after going to lowes and saving a couple plants from the death cubes and among them was this nepenthes ventricosa that look very well than the other ones for sale and so i bought it.I ended up repotting the plant in a hanging basket from a previous nepenthes that I had and placed on my front porch where it gets a lot of direct sun and the leaves are started to seem burned should i place it somewhere else wheres theres shade or sun?
Thanks again-alan

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
By sanguinearocks101
Berrybob wrote:With nepenthes you don't want much direct sunlight. I would keep it somewhere where it can get indirect light.
It really depends on the species you're talking about, with species like Nepenthes aenigma that grow in deep shade, they'll be better off in shadier conditions. As a general rule you should give Nepenthes bright light. Many people in Florida grow their Nepenthes x ventrata outside.
Apollyon liked this
By alanmota2004
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
Berrybob wrote:With nepenthes you don't want much direct sunlight. I would keep it somewhere where it can get indirect light.
It really depends on the species you're talking about, with species like Nepenthes aenigma that grow in deep shade, they'll be better off in shadier conditions. As a general rule you should give Nepenthes bright light. Many people in Florida grow their Nepenthes x ventrata outside.
So let it get used to the sun on my front porch i keep it there and it get alot of hot sun there

By alanmota2004

alanmota2004 wrote:
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
So i let it get used to the sun on my front porch i keep it there and it get alot of hot sun there

By sanguinearocks101
alanmota2004 wrote:So let it get used to the sun on my front porch i keep it there and it get alot of hot sun there

You can leave it outside in the sun and let it get used to it like that, but it will greatly harm your plant and there is a chance of it dying.
I would start off leaving it outside for 30 minutes, increase the time by 10 minutes a day,
when you get to 2 hours, increase it by 15 minutes a day,
when you get to 3 1/2 hours you can increase it by 30 minutes a day.
You could probably do it faster than this but I like to keep it on the safe side.
By alanmota2004
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
alanmota2004 wrote:So let it get used to the sun on my front porch i keep it there and it get alot of hot sun there

You can leave it outside in the sun and let it get used to it like that, but it will greatly harm your plant and there is a chance of it dying.
I would start off leaving it outside for 30 minutes, increase the time by 10 minutes a day,
when you get to 2 hours, increase it by 15 minutes a day,
when you get to 3 1/2 hours you can increase it by 30 minutes a day.
You could probably do it faster than this but I like to keep it on the safe side.
Ok thank you I will keep you updated on how its doing or if anything is going wrong

By Apollyon
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
I have a friend who grows all kinds of different Nepenthes outside. We live in Florida and the conditions are great for it. The more "delicate" species he will put under a 50% shade cloth but one like you're talking about he has growing out there hanging from the side of his shed with no problems lol.

Honestly, once my cuttings begin taking off, I plan to acclimate them outside. Let them reach their best potential. Still have a lot of research I need to do on them however, they're weird crosses and I'm no expert
By hungry carnivores
Ventratas don't really care. I've put mine in different (and crazy) soil mixes, including one in standard, fertilized potting soil. It actually grows the fastest :lol: .

That said, if you're looking to get more specialized nepenthes (highland mainly) you will need to provide direct sunlight and somehow find a way to let them stay cold.
Lowland species prefer less light.

When people give Nep advice, they are species- or altitude-specific, just wanted to put that out there .
sanguinearocks101 liked this
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!