FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Benny
Sarracenia purpurea is probably the cheapest sarrs out there. But I read it is one of the slowest growing as well. This confuses me because usually, the slower growing, the more expensive and rare.

Any explanations?
By chomato
Benny wrote:Sarracenia purpurea is probably the cheapest sarrs out there. But I read it is one of the slowest growing as well. This confuses me because usually, the slower growing, the more expensive and rare.

Any explanations?
Maybe because many people have it?

Supply and demand
Benny liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
Benny wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:20 am Sarracenia purpurea is probably the cheapest sarrs out there. But I read it is one of the slowest growing as well. This confuses me because usually, the slower growing, the more expensive and rare.

Any explanations?
It's not really slow growing and it's very robust. Further, I think it is somewhat less popular because of it's low growing habit. So basically chomato is right, supply and demand.
Benny liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
Benny wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:20 am Sarracenia purpurea is probably the cheapest sarrs out there. But I read it is one of the slowest growing as well. This confuses me because usually, the slower growing, the more expensive and rare.

Any explanations?
just for giggles I still think it takes 3 to 4 years for a s. purpura to be even a small size in a 4x4 inch pot. and it took me 2 years to get someone from the forum to give up a s. purpura. I had 4 small divisions in the pot and it still cost me $20. s. purpura is one of the hardiest sarracenia, staying a beautiful purple/red all winter. and it might be my favorite
Benny liked this

After sealing the wood, I would line the top pa[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!