FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By PlantsWithTeeth_01
I'm assuming someone in here has used Seasol on their plants. If so, which species, and what was the effect? The guy below certainly seems to believe it strongly helps root growth, as well as making plants and their roots hardier. I've seen a lot of positive stuff about it online with a quick read, but unsure of best practices with CP's.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkSIUARvPqQ[/youtube]

What's more, I have multi-grow pots (eg, I grow sundews with my neps and they are just becoming monsters after several months, as well as VFT and drosera together), so it would be useful to know the kind of effect I could expect across the board, and if some plants hate it more than others.

Currently, I don't use any fertiliser, only Great White, and one site did say that Seasol can support the microbes, so that sounds promising. Mainly I'm worried about over dosing, and ideally I'd like to find a dose amount that I don't have to flush out, so something really low - unless that just won't have any effect.

Species I grow:
  • VFT
    Drosera
    Sarracenia
    Nepenthes
    Byblis
By PlantsWithTeeth_01
Well, from some feedback off Facebook, so far I've tried the following:

3ml Seasol to 9L rain water.

Pour it over the plants with a watering can, with one of those soft spray spouts.

I water the neps for about 10 seconds per pot, and other plants for about half that.

Freshly repotted neps haven't paused growth, and after a week, their growth actually looks faster than before, but sustainable - not going crazy and going to burn out. Neps that I actually measured were: Attenboroughii, Rajah, Diatis.

I tried on Cephalotus several days ago, no negative effects, and in fact they seem to have perked up slightly.

Fly traps noticeably seem to have picked up a bit after 2 / 3 days, especially after they've been repotted and chopped up a bit to remove damaged tissue from fungus gnats.

Haven't really paid too much attention to sundew growth, only noted that it doesn't seem to have had huge adverse effects on the sundews.
Darkroom Denizen liked this

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!