FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrap Hunter
Posts:  761
Joined:  Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 am
#340195
I wouldn't mist them at night until you get the algae worked out. The cold drop at night is for when the temperature is above 90F or so. DC don't like it really hot. But right now mine are in 95F weather and sunlight all day. It still drops to 70F here at night in NC, so it works out.
Thanks for the reply and sounds great. Keep us posted.
FlyTrap Hunter liked this
By DeathMob
Posts:  78
Joined:  Sun May 20, 2018 11:26 pm
#340204
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:I wouldn't mist them at night until you get the algae worked out. The cold drop at night is for when the temperature is above 90F or so. DC don't like it really hot. But right now mine are in 95F weather and sunlight all day. It still drops to 70F here at night in NC, so it works out.
Thanks for the reply and sounds great. Keep us posted.
Ok thank you sooo much for your help! Much appreciated!

P.S. I wound up moving the seedlings back. I get around 6+ hrs of sunlight where I last had them, but still get a bit shaded so they won’t get sunburnt. I am currently using a 30% shader over the box. I had it wrapped over it 3x so it probably was the cause of the algae, so now I have only one layer of the 30% shade over the seedlings. I wish I had put more soil in the pot I made. I was worried that they might sink into the soil if it ever rained, but I came up with using a clear lid from my greenhouse seed starter to cover them from the rain. So now they are too low and getting covered in algae. I’m almost thinking about flipping the pot upside down onto another pot to remove the soil and then add some soil to the pot that I flipped the soil into and then flip the whole soil and seedlings back into the pot I was using. Do you think this could work to reduce the amount of algae and be able to put more water in the tray or should I wait until the seeds have developed seedlings?
By FlyTrap Hunter
Posts:  761
Joined:  Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 am
#340385
DeathMob wrote:
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:I wouldn't mist them at night until you get the algae worked out. The cold drop at night is for when the temperature is above 90F or so. DC don't like it really hot. But right now mine are in 95F weather and sunlight all day. It still drops to 70F here at night in NC, so it works out.
Thanks for the reply and sounds great. Keep us posted.
Ok thank you sooo much for your help! Much appreciated!

P.S. I wound up moving the seedlings back. I get around 6+ hrs of sunlight where I last had them, but still get a bit shaded so they won’t get sunburnt. I am currently using a 30% shader over the box. I had it wrapped over it 3x so it probably was the cause of the algae, so now I have only one layer of the 30% shade over the seedlings. I wish I had put more soil in the pot I made. I was worried that they might sink into the soil if it ever rained, but I came up with using a clear lid from my greenhouse seed starter to cover them from the rain. So now they are too low and getting covered in algae. I’m almost thinking about flipping the pot upside down onto another pot to remove the soil and then add some soil to the pot that I flipped the soil into and then flip the whole soil and seedlings back into the pot I was using. Do you think this could work to reduce the amount of algae and be able to put more water in the tray or should I wait until the seeds have developed seedlings?
If you can see the seedlings, I wouldn't change the soil. You can fix the algae without moving the seedlings around.
Just keep trying to get them dryer and more air circulating. Sunlight and air circulating kills algae. Just my opinion.
You might want to post your question in the pitcher plant section and get opinions from other members.this is my one darlingtonia Californica seedling and it's making it's first adult pitcher. It's a bit sunburned but going strong
DC
DC
Effect_20190711_193207.jpg (38.89 KiB) Viewed 485 times
I think it's just a year old
FlyTrap Hunter liked this
By DeathMob
Posts:  78
Joined:  Sun May 20, 2018 11:26 pm
#340400
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:If you can see the seedlings, I wouldn't change the soil. You can fix the algae without moving the seedlings around.
Just keep trying to get them dryer and more air circulating. Sunlight and air circulating kills algae. Just my opinion.
You might want to post your question in the pitcher plant section and get opinions from other members.this is my one darlingtonia Californica seedling and it's making it's first adult pitcher. It's a bit sunburned but going strong
Effect_20190711_193207.jpg
I think it's just a year old
Yeah I’m not sure wether or not I can see them anymore. If not the algae is suffocating them, right?

https://imgur.com/a/6xFP8L7
https://imgur.com/a/RxtHeUg

Sorry meant to post these pictures as well.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Posts:  761
Joined:  Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 am
#340446
DeathMob wrote:
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:If you can see the seedlings, I wouldn't change the soil. You can fix the algae without moving the seedlings around.
Just keep trying to get them dryer and more air circulating. Sunlight and air circulating kills algae. Just my opinion.
You might want to post your question in the pitcher plant section and get opinions from other members.this is my one darlingtonia Californica seedling and it's making it's first adult pitcher. It's a bit sunburned but going strong
Effect_20190711_193207.jpg
I think it's just a year old
Yeah I’m not sure wether or not I can see them anymore. If not the algae is suffocating them, right?

https://imgur.com/a/6xFP8L7
https://imgur.com/a/RxtHeUg

Sorry meant to post these pictures as well.
I don't know if the seedlings are ok because they have some peat moss on top. I would post your question in the pitcher plants section in the forum and see what pros say. I just started growing Sarracenia a year ago from seed. I would think just give them as much light as they can handle and don't let them dry out.
FlyTrap Hunter liked this
By DeathMob
Posts:  78
Joined:  Sun May 20, 2018 11:26 pm
#340453
Ok cool that’s what i’m Doing right now. Also, I went ahead and bought more seeds so if these guys don’t grow at all I at least have a back up of future seedlings that I am very certain will grow this time around. By the time they come out of the fridge it should start the cooler months!!! =D
Nepenthes seeds

Hey, when were these harvested? Sent from my S[…]

Cape Sundew Death???

That foliage and stem look dead. It may sprout pl[…]

Non vft virgin

Welcome to the party! :mrgreen:

The seeds were mailed on August 6th, and the winne[…]

August bonus

Thank you very much, I hope it works soon🤞 I reall[…]

Order received. Your order number is 0127. I'll PM[…]

Drosera Hamiltonii

I have drosera Hamiltonii for sale. $10 for each p[…]

Is this a HUGE mistake!!!!

Lol thanks Adriana. Ive had the gravel for a coupl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!