FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By twitcher
Other than Jeepers current mention of his crested pygmy gemmae on another thread, I have not run across anybody's discussion on crested Drosera or Pinguicula here. A quick search on Google produces manyphoto examples but I was wondering if anybody here has crested forms of Drosera or Pinguicula to share pictures with the members. I'm also curious if the cresting is propagated via seed vs leaf cuttings or pullings. Was also wondering why I have not see listing for people selling or trading.
By Shadowtski
In the 80 and 90s, there were a few nurseries selling a Drosera capensis with a Crestate growth pattern. I had one but let it die off when I let my collection go. I tried propagating it from leaf cuttings and the mutation was not very stable.

These days, the only thing I've run across is a guy in Greece selling Crestate capensis seed. The pictures show the plant growing normal but the flower looking crestate.

I bought some but it's still juvenile and looking normal.

I have a Drosophyllum that started growing in a Gordian knot and looking semi-crestate for a while. I'm waiting to see what will happen with this one. Petar Kostov says it's not too unusual and it should start growing normally again when the mood takes it.
By KategoricalKarnivore
I’ve seen pictures of D. capillaris in the wild that were crested.
By twitcher
In a previous life, I had a large collection of Sempervivum species and cultivars. Part of my collecting was for crested or fasciated varieties. Some were stable, genetic varieties, others were varieties that were unstable but were known to regularly but only occasionally throw a few crested plants. Had about 7 or 8 different varieties at one point. Some of us collected them and shared with each other. So I'm just surprised not to see that here and wonder if there is something about cp's that serves to limit cresting.
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!