FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By carelerasmus
The question frequently seen on this forum!

Many have different opinions on growing carnivorous plants such as venus flytraps, sarracenia or drosera indoors. Mostly people argue that these plants should only be grown outside. They have a good point in saying so , seeing as these plants need a lot of intense light , dormancy , and can also catch more prey that way!

However, I myself have grown CP's successfully indoors , without the help of artificial lighting! I guess what I'm trying to say is, it is actually possible to grow them indoors! There are a few factors that have to be taken into account when attempting indoor growing.

1st You'll have to find a spot that gets a good +-6 hours of DIRECT sunlingt! Make sure the window (if there is one) is not tinted or obstructed. The more light the better! Artificial light can be used instead or as suppliment , but I dont have any experience in that so others could chime in!

2nd Watering will have to be less frequent than that of outdoor plants , due to a lower tempo of water evaporation (less heat, dry winds etc.) .

3rd During their dormant season, it is best to move the plants outside so nature can put them to rest untill Spring!

4th While not really necessary , feeding does speed up growth! Thus one can suppliment their feeding by using fish food (pellets or flakes). Some people use freeze dried bloodworms with excellent results, but I've never tried it.

I'm in no way a pro at growing carnivorous plants, but I feel that I need to let newer growers know that it is indeed possible to grow them indoors! One simply has to take into account what these plants require most to survive. And if I could stress one of these factors most, it would be lighting!! Make absolutely sure that your plants receive strong , direct light for +-6 hours each day, otherwise your plants will suffer or even die!

Attached are some images of my mini bog garden that I grow indoors as proof! Image ( they are moved into shade for better pictures )
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
carelerasmus liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
Yeah, CPs can definitely be grown indoors. Here are a few of mine.
Attachments:
DD836EC9-D306-46A7-A598-20466FA4A370.jpeg
DD836EC9-D306-46A7-A598-20466FA4A370.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 1350 times
By carelerasmus
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Yeah, CPs can definitely be grown indoors. Here are a few of mine.
Great example of growing results with artificial light!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!