FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By carelerasmus
Posts:  322
Joined:  Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm
#307658
Bob Beer wrote:Where are you, and how cold?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
South Africa and I suppose on general about 15°C

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
User avatar
By Bob Beer
Posts:  580
Joined:  Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:39 am
#307659
Not really; they want to be down around 4-5. They can even take down to -3 or -4 but those temps aren’t necessary.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By carelerasmus
Posts:  322
Joined:  Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm
#307661
Bob Beer wrote:Not really; they want to be down around 4-5. They can even take down to -3 or -4 but those temps aren’t necessary.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okei I've got new info nowImage yeahh the temps reach about 0 at night in winters! Haha sorry!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
User avatar
By Bob Beer
Posts:  580
Joined:  Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:39 am
#307666
Not really; they want to be down around 4-5. They can even take down to -3 or -4 but those temps aren’t necessary.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
By Bob Beer
Posts:  580
Joined:  Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:39 am
#307667
Nit sure why my message sent twice! Yeah, here there is a perception that they are a tropical jungle plant. :-) When I tell customers at the shop that they like to be outside (I’m in Seattle, WA), they’re always shocked.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By carelerasmus
Posts:  322
Joined:  Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm
#307668
Bob Beer wrote:Nit sure why my message sent twice! Yeah, here there is a perception that they are a tropical jungle plant. :-) When I tell customers at the shop that they like to be outside (I’m in Seattle, WA), they’re always shocked.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha yeah I know! When I show people my flytraps they ALWAYS ask: " Isn't it supposed to be as big as a person?" They watch too many movies! Anywhoo...here is the terrarium! I've just finished it! How does it look? And also? What lights should I get my plants? Keep in mind I'm not from America, so brands probably wont helpImage and also could this terrarium setup work in sunlight? If so, how much sun, and also how indirect will be enough?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
By carelerasmus
Posts:  322
Joined:  Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm
#307669
Forgot to add the image!Image

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
User avatar
By Bob Beer
Posts:  580
Joined:  Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:39 am
#307695
Looks nice! It looks like you’re using a peat and coarse sand (or perlite) mix? I use T5 high output fluorescents. You could also use some compact fluorescents as well, 5000K is fine, so is 6500K


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
By Bob Beer
Posts:  580
Joined:  Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:39 am
#307696
You could also grow it outside (the best) but you’ll have to make sure your terrarium doesn’t flood if it rains.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By carelerasmus
Posts:  322
Joined:  Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm
#307697
Bob Beer wrote:Looks nice! It looks like you’re using a peat and coarse sand (or perlite) mix? I use T5 high output fluorescents. You could also use some compact fluorescents as well, 5000K is fine, so is 6500K


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okei so seeing as it is a very small tank, would it be okay if I use two fluorescent bulbs? I have also added tin foil to the sides of the tank so as to maximize the light that the plants recieve through reflection, is this a good idea for the setup with 2 fluorescent bulbs?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
By Wikiwakawakawee
Posts:  688
Joined:  Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:30 pm
#307717
I actually did something like this with regular stones I found outside and didn't see any negative side effects. I did only have it up for about 6 months though, until it fell off my shelf and broke :? I still probably wouldn't recommend it though, try finding some suitable rocks you could use. :)
Attachments:
20160814_142514 (2).jpg
20160814_142514 (2).jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 1326 times
20160805_170806.jpg
20160805_170806.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 1326 times
By carelerasmus
Posts:  322
Joined:  Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm
#307718
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:I actually did something like this with regular stones I found outside and didn't see any negative side effects. I did only have it up for about 6 months though, until it fell off my shelf and broke :? I still probably wouldn't recommend it though, try finding some suitable rocks you could use. :)
Looks REALLY cool!!Image

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
December bonus

Well, we made it. Only one month left in 2020. Thi[…]

I'm a complete noob in tissue culture, this is my […]

Is my plant dying?

Thanks Matt and Tommy, here is an update after a m[…]

SASE in the mail for November's and December's ord[…]

0241 Panman requests Maxsea

Torpedo away! SASE in the mail.

SASE sent with donation.

But my vft hasn’t gone into dormancy yet, so[…]

SASE sent! Thanks again!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!