FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

User avatar
By Nightwing42540
Posts:  125
Joined:  Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:47 pm
#288483
If I leave my plants outside year-round in Florida, will they go dormant on their own? (I have a typical venus fly trap and a pitcher plant from Lowes labeled Nepenthes Ventricosa, see my other post)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
Posts:  733
Joined:  Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:59 pm
#288511
Your Nep doesn't need to go dormant, and as for your flytrap, it depends on which part of Florida you're in.
User avatar
By Nightwing42540
Posts:  125
Joined:  Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:47 pm
#288513
Fishkeeper wrote:Your Nep doesn't need to go dormant, and as for your flytrap, it depends on which part of Florida you're in.
Im in Miami

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
User avatar
By boarderlib
Posts:  1639
Joined:  Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
#288516
I'm planning on doing a detailed write up about dormancy here as soon as I can squeeze or in, but I'll sum up some info that should help you.

Cold temps and shortening daylight hours trigger the first stage of dormancy endo-dormancy. This is true dormancy. The plant is in a suspended state of animation. Nothing will break this dormancy until the plant counts the appropriate amount of chilling units. The second stage or alternative stage is eco-dormancy. This stage can be induced by shortening days, this stage can also be broken by weather.

Being you are in a pretty subtropical area. I would recommend to find an alternative dormancy solution for your VFT. The fridge method works well. I used it this past winter, my weather is the opposite as yours. It's too cold in the winter here, at least without some form of protection.

I would also just wait until next fall to worry too much about dormancy, since it's coming up on growing season now.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
By DRBeck
Posts:  11
Joined:  Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:15 am
#288517
Another dormancy question: for S. Austin, I believe that is 8a according to the USDA region, what would be the dormancy period for VFT's and Nepenthes? If indoors are either in need of dormancy to thrive? Should they be left out, within reasonable temps, and if so, how cold is too cold to leave out? TIA!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
User avatar
By boarderlib
Posts:  1639
Joined:  Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm
#288537
DRBeck wrote:Another dormancy question: for S. Austin, I believe that is 8a according to the USDA region, what would be the dormancy period for VFT's and Nepenthes? If indoors are either in need of dormancy to thrive? Should they be left out, within reasonable temps, and if so, how cold is too cold to leave out? TIA!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
For VFT'S their natural dormancy period is between November and February. They'll handle light frosts, just fine. So, the basic answer is 32°F, to be safe. There's a lot of variables to this, but that's a basic guideline.

You being in a warmer climate could grow them outdoors, or use a fridge method. That's entirely up to you and what works best for you.

Haha, I'm the last person to comment on Neps. I can tell you they don't need a dormancy being tropical plants.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
User avatar
By Nightwing42540
Posts:  125
Joined:  Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:47 pm
#288646
boarderlib wrote:I'm planning on doing a detailed write up about dormancy here as soon as I can squeeze or in, but I'll sum up some info that should help you.

Cold temps and shortening daylight hours trigger the first stage of dormancy endo-dormancy. This is true dormancy. The plant is in a suspended state of animation. Nothing will break this dormancy until the plant counts the appropriate amount of chilling units. The second stage or alternative stage is eco-dormancy. This stage can be induced by shortening days, this stage can also be broken by weather.

Being you are in a pretty subtropical area. I would recommend to find an alternative dormancy solution for your VFT. The fridge method works well. I used it this past winter, my weather is the opposite as yours. It's too cold in the winter here, at least without some form of protection.

I would also just wait until next fall to worry too much about dormancy, since it's coming up on growing season now.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
I looked "Dormancy in Florida" and found an old post where Matt said you can leave your fly traps outside year round and that they will undergo a weak dormancy. He also said that shorter days in winter will trigger it and that temperature isn't as big of a factor as the length of the days.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Maybe Drosera capillaris 'Long Arm'?

Cape Sundew Death???

You'll know in about a week or so what you're look[…]

Cool

I think I see mine in there :D .

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Looking for Sun Pitcher :)

I sent you a message :) Sent from my iPhone usi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Grumpy (because[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!