FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Bhart90
I have dewy pine seeds as well as drosera cistiflora seeds that have not germinated yet and it has been a month and some change by now, bright light and humidity, check.

Does soil temperature correspond to my issues?

Do Any seeds require a soil temp, to start?

Thank you
By Smooter80
For Dewy Pines, scarification greatly helps with germination rates. I use the sandpaper method. I have not kept track of germination times but it is a month+.

I have been talking with Nim about Winter growing Sundew germination. They may need heat treatment and/or smoke water. A short photoperiod might and cooler temps may help too.
By nimbulan
I believe the most reliable method for fast germination of Drosophyllum is scarification (either carefully cut away or sandpaper the seed coat until you can see white) and then soak in water for 24 hours before sowing.

D. cistiflora will need hot stratification and possibly a smoke treatment as well. While I believe it is the easiest of the South African winter-growing species to germinate from seed, it's not exactly easy. I will be attempting this myself for the first time soon and will be following the quick stratification instructions here since it is so late in the year: http://www.tuberous-drosera.net/germination2.htm
By Bhart90
I did the scarification. Well see.

So, the medium is cold. No heating pad right?
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!