FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Dewy the Sundew
I'm about to get a plant called a stylidium debile, commonly known as the frail triggerplant along with other CPs from a dealer online. I've been researching on this plant and i have some questions. 1. Is this plant even carnivorous, if so how does it trap and digest its prey? 2. can it be grown indoors? 3. Care requirements? Thanks guys! :mrgreen:
By fattytuna
Stylidium is certainly an interesting genus. They grow wild here in Sydney and some species are quite common in bushland. The plant produces sticky glands (like sundews) on its flower stalks (and other parts -depends on the species), which can trap insects. Studies on certain species have shown that the glands produce digestive enzymes, so the plant can be considered carnivorous.

The most interesting element of the plant is actually in the flower (albeit unrelated to carnivory). The stigma and stamen (reproductive organs) of the flower is located on a 'spring loaded' stalk. When an insect lands on the flower, the spring is unloaded and the reproductive parts of the flower are flung towards the insect, allowing for pollination.

can't help much with propagation - sorry. In the wild, they often grow alongside sundews.
By Cory
It's very fast growing

Put it outside in full sun they are tough to get to flower indoors

I have been growing them for awhile now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Ken Tadashii
Something is wrong with mine, although it is in full sun ( philippines) and in water tray the leaves are turning yellow and it have been 3 months since i have them but they are frozen in growth. Am i doing it wrong?
Attachments:
IMG_20230423_011023.jpg
IMG_20230423_011023.jpg (3.39 MiB) Viewed 2110 times
Bird liked this
Not what you would expect...

Ants! Oh mannnnn. I had a bunch of ants doing a pe[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!