FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By nimbulan
I had some of these last year and dumped the tray out to get rid of them. This year I thought I'd try to figure out what they are. They definitely don't look like mosquito larvae and seem too thin and long to be fungus gnats. They just appeared suddenly over the past week and wiggle around on the bottom of the trays. It's hard to get a measurement when they move so much but I would estimate they range from 3-8mm long. Any ideas?

By Darkrai283
It is a larvae of a fly species in the Nematocera suborder- the same suborder the Mycetophilidae family which fungus gnats belong to.

The larvae certainly do not look like those in the Mycetophilidae family (f. gnats) but Nematocera is the closest I can get to the ID. Sorry
By nimbulan
Darkrai283 wrote:It is a larvae of a fly species in the Nematocera suborder- the same suborder the Mycetophilidae family which fungus gnats belong to.

The larvae certainly do not look like those in the Mycetophilidae family (f. gnats) but Nematocera is the closest I can get to the ID. Sorry
After looking around a bit, I think they may be part of the Chironomidae family: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironomidae. I'll keep an eye on them but it doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.
By tommyr
To get rid of them get some "Mosquito dunks" and put a little of one in the water tray(s). It's BT and it's totally safe and very effective.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!