FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By KissMegan
Does anyone know of reputable heli sellers in the US? I know of Native Exotics but I was wondering if there were others. I check ebay regularly but there's usually only 2-3 helis up at a time.
By Cory
There's not many and most of them sell the same plants

If you want something out of the normal it's either wistubas or a private grower.
By kcbugs
Sarracenia Northwest has some from time to time.

They have one available at the moment. They divide these from their own mother plants.

http://www.growcarnivorousplants.com/mo ... Code=31012

They don't sell these in mass, typically the picture you see is the plant for sale.
By ps3isawesome
I have bought many plants from Sarracenia Northwest except their Heliamphoras. I've read repeated reviews praising the quality and hardiness of their Heli's. To me, it's just REALLY EXPENSIVE. Instead I bought a $30 dollar Heliamphora Heterodexa from California Carnivorous. I began looking for a Heli back in August and California Carinivorous didn't have any in stock until October. In the mean time, I literally checked multiple vendors and eBay listings every day. I chose to go with CC because it was cheap and a good size. Plus, after seeing their nursery and where they house the Helis I just couldn't resist. Instead of having it shipped, I picked it up from the store. No shipping shock or root disturbance, and all the other crap they need to recover from. The only thing this Heli had to recover from is my lack of experience.

Heliamphoras always seems to be in stock on eBay sold by multiple sellers with really good reviews. The only problem for me is none of them are buy it now, I sometimes forget to go bid for the plants, or get bided out. This mixture of failures definitely discouraged me. However, I have noticed a decline in demand (total bidders) and supplies (Heli listings) as fall and winter approaches. Bottom line, I"ll never give up on eBay because who knows one day I'll luck out. In the mean time, I wanted a good plant from a reputable nursery because ME BEING A NEWB MIGHT KILL THE PLANT.
By KissMegan
ps3isawesome wrote:I have bought many plants from Sarracenia Northwest except their Heliamphoras. I've read repeated reviews praising the quality and hardiness of their Heli's. To me, it's just REALLY EXPENSIVE. Instead I bought a $30 dollar Heliamphora Heterodexa from California Carnivorous. I began looking for a Heli back in August and California Carinivorous didn't have any in stock until October. In the mean time, I literally checked multiple vendors and eBay listings every day. I chose to go with CC because it was cheap and a good size. Plus, after seeing their nursery and where they house the Helis I just couldn't resist. Instead of having it shipped, I picked it up from the store. No shipping shock or root disturbance, and all the other crap they need to recover from. The only thing this Heli had to recover from is my lack of experience.

Heliamphoras always seems to be in stock on eBay sold by multiple sellers with really good reviews. The only problem for me is none of them are buy it now, I sometimes forget to go bid for the plants, or get bided out. This mixture of failures definitely discouraged me. However, I have noticed a decline in demand (total bidders) and supplies (Heli listings) as fall and winter approaches. Bottom line, I"ll never give up on eBay because who knows one day I'll luck out. In the mean time, I wanted a good plant from a reputable nursery because ME BEING A NEWB MIGHT KILL THE PLANT.
I totally understand on the eBay issue! I only recently made an eBay account specially for buying heliamphora. Lost my first auction because I didn't know how they worked but I won the last 2 haha.
Yes it is annoying that all of them are for auction but I guess I'm willing to pay. I just wish the states had more heli sellers haha
By RL7836
NepenthesKT wrote:There's Exotic Plants Plus but it's closed right now since they are moving their green house.
Interesting info. Could I ask where you heard this? This is the first I've heard about him re-opening.

For those who aren't familiar with the story: Tony's gas company let his greenhouse propane run out on an extremely cold winter night. He apparently had no backups nor any alarms to alert him. His neighbor called him when he didn't see the normal plume coming from the greenhouse. By this point, virtually everything in the greenhouse was dead.

For more info, start at post #29.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!