FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By coline
Hi I have just got a plant of this big utricularia, I was impressed when I got it, normally I deal with sandersonii, livida or flaccida, but as handling this species which would be a good substrate, kind of the soft mixture for an epiphytic utric or terrestrial one?
And same question for Genlisea violacea that I also got, which could be a good substrate?
By Maiden
Utricularia calycifida is a terrestrial plant, i grow many pots of this beautiful genus. For me, the best soil mix is 50% peat moss, 50% orchid bark. The key with this utricularia specie is the temp drop at night. If you can have a drop of about 7-10C, its perfect. Also, this utri need moderate to low light level. A very bright light can burn the fragile leaves, and the purple veins will be faded.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
By coline
Seems it will be a good companion to my adelae droseras as to light requirements, since even schizandra lives very well there in the outside, right now in winter I'm getting those drops, to 15-18ºC at nights.
I have always wondered about this, what is orchid bark? in the country and land of orchids we use only live trees or pieces of Acnistus arborescens and coconut fiber chunks.
By Maiden
Orchid mix is a blend of different things, like coconut fiber, wood chunk, sometimes a lil bit of lime stones. From my experience, this utri specie like a very airy soil mix.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Maiden liked this
By coline
Of course, peat I have a whole bale always, just need to look for orchid bark

Very nice plants! I missed a question, how deep is their pot in there?
By coline
wow, that is a lot, now it is just planted, but I'll change the pot in 1-2 months or when it grows a little and I'm sure that it has survived! 3 weeks inside a package might have some effect..
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!