FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By BoothEatsBUGS
Hey everyone! I'm going to Reno tomorrow for 5 days and I don't have anyone to take care of my plants. With the exception of one of my nepenthes and one of my giant sundews all my other plants are on auto watering systems I built and designed. I have one nepenthes, my N. Raven, that's so big it won't fit in my rainforest. So with a little boredom at work and some research I solved my problem.

Here's the supplies you will need
1x 5 gallon bucket WITH Lid (sold separately, about 5-8 bucks total

1x 130-160 GPH submersible pump
1x Hydro Halo watering ring, 1/2" connector
1x 8" Net pot
1/2" ID tubing, I bought 4' just in case

The Hydro Halo

Optional equipment
Timer
Air Pump/Air stones
Cutting instrument (I used my dremel tool)

Here's my N. Raven, being big and beautiful (except the lack of pitchers, but I blame that on winter time.

Start by measuring the diameter of the net pot UNDER the lip, trace this out onto the lid and cut using the dremel tool. You want the pot to set into the lid and not fall through, I have mine sitting a little above the lid.

Next I cut a hole into the side of the bucket to run my 1/2" tubing out of the bucket from the pump to the ring. I had to modify this hole after the picture was taken to fit the plug for the electric pump out of this same hole.

That's it for the cutting!

Next I installed my pump and ran the plug out of the hole I cut earlier

Next run the 1/2" tubing through the hole and connect to the pump. Then fill the bucket (reservoir) with RO water.

I then hooked up the halo and tested to see how much water was coming out of it. It looks like it has a lot of force but it really isnt that strong

Place the ring around the base of the plant, you can use the optional spike stands that came with it, I chose not to so I dont fling water all over the place.

Install the plant! :)

Hook the hose up to the Halo and secure it with a zip tie or hose clamp, then fire it up and try it out!

Here's the new system in action, very subtle, but hey! It works!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYsxYpvJZ0Y[/youtube]
By Starchy
Amazing job! I have been trying to come across a way to create an auto watering system for my plants as well. Instead of a pump, I was considering using gravity and a timer. I need something for my moss though, which is in a long piece of Tupperware (all the way to the right), along with my seedlings that are still in plastic starter containers:

Not the best photo, but you get the idea... these plants are not ready for pots big enough for your setup. I need to find some kind of splitter.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!